Using generators to check for a normal subgroup

In summary, the question is whether or not a subgroup H is normal if it is closed under conjugation by elements from a generating set A. The attempt at a solution involves showing that a^{-1}ha\in H for any a\in A and h\in H, but the author is stuck and asks for help.
gauss mouse

Homework Statement

Perhaps I should say first that this question stems from an attempt to show that in the group
[itex] \langle x,y|x^7=y^3=1,yxy^{-1}=x^2 \rangle,\ \langle x \rangle [/itex] is a normal subgroup.

Let [itex] G [/itex] be a group with a subgroup [itex] H [/itex]. Let [itex] G [/itex] be generated by [itex]A\subseteq G [/itex]. Suppose that [itex] H [/itex] is closed under conjugation by elements from [itex] A [/itex] in the sense that [itex] aha^{-1}\in H [/itex] for any [itex] a\in A [/itex] and any [itex] h\in H [/itex]. Is it then true that [itex] H [/itex] is a normal subgroup of [itex] G [/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex] G [/itex] is the set of all products of elements from [itex] A\cup A^{-1} [/itex] where [itex] A^{-1}:=\{a^{-1}|a\in A\}. [/itex] Since we are assuming that [itex] aha^{-1} \in H[/itex] for any [itex] a\in A [/itex] and any [itex] h\in H [/itex], it will be enough to show that [itex] a^{-1}ha\in H[/itex] for any [itex] a\in A [/itex] and any [itex] h\in H [/itex]. However I have not been able to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried to prove this by contradiction, but in my attempts I get stuck in a case where I don't know if it is possible to find an element of H which does not satisfy the condition. If my attempt is wrong, or if I am missing something, please let me know. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Related to Using generators to check for a normal subgroup

1. What is a generator in the context of group theory?

A generator is an element of a group that can be used to create all other elements of the group through repeated multiplication or exponentiation. In other words, a generator is an element that, when combined with itself a certain number of times, can produce all other elements of the group.

2. How do generators help in checking for a normal subgroup?

Generators can help in checking for a normal subgroup by allowing us to generate all elements of the group in question and then compare them to the elements of the supposed normal subgroup. If all the elements of the subgroup can be generated by the generator(s), then the subgroup is normal.

3. Can a group have multiple generators?

Yes, a group can have multiple generators. In fact, most groups have more than one generator. This is because different generators can be used to generate different subsets of the group, providing a more complete understanding of the group's structure.

4. What is the significance of generators in group theory?

Generators play a crucial role in group theory as they allow us to understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. They also help us in determining important properties of a group, such as whether it is cyclic or abelian.

5. Are generators always necessary to check for a normal subgroup?

No, generators are not always necessary to check for a normal subgroup. In some cases, the properties of the group or subgroup can be directly observed and used to determine if the subgroup is normal. However, generators are often a useful tool in this process, especially for larger or more complex groups.