Using existential generalization

• Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    logic
In summary: Wasn't ##R## a relation?The notation is a bit confusing, but as you said, ##a## can be seen as part of the definition of ##R##. The difference between ##R(a,x)## and ##R(x,a)## is the order of the elements in the relation. ##R(a,x)## means that there exists a relation between objects ##a## and ##x##, while ##R(x,a)## means that there exists a relation between objects ##x## and ##a##. So, in this case, ##a## is being used as a variable for an object in the relation, rather than a fixed value.
Terrell

Homework Statement

is my method valid?

∃x¬R(x,a) --> ¬∃R(a,x)
¬R(a,a)
thus, ¬R(a,b)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

∃x¬R(x,a) by existential gen. of ¬R(a,a)
¬∃R(a,x) by modus ponens
∀x¬R(a,x) by identity of ¬∃R(a,x)
¬R(a,b) by universal instantiation of ∀x¬R(a,x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have trouble to understand your notation. ##\lnot R(x,a)## suggests, that it is a statement, whereas ##\exists R(a,x)## looks like an element somewhere. Furthermore ##a## isn't quantified.

Likes Terrell
Terrell said:
∃x¬R(x,a) --> ¬∃R(a,x)

As fresh_42 pointed out, the usual notation would be something like ##\lnot( \exists x ( R(a,x) )##

Your general approach is correct.

Likes Terrell
Stephen Tashi said:
As fresh_42 pointed out, the usual notation would be something like ##\lnot( \exists x ( R(a,x) )##

Your general approach is correct.
thank you stephen!

fresh_42 said:
I have trouble to understand your notation. ##\lnot R(x,a)## suggests, that it is a statement, whereas ##\exists R(a,x)## looks like an element somewhere. Furthermore ##a## isn't quantified.
yes i missed an "x" there. how was "a" not quantified?

Terrell said:
yes i missed an "x" there. how was "a" not quantified?
Well, is ##a## fixed? Then it could be taken as part of ##R##, if ##R## is symmetric, which I don't know. Or does it mean for all ##a##, or there is an ##a##? Since it is in all occurrences of ##R## I tend to put it into the definition of ##R## to get rid of it, as it seems to be unnecessary. But then there are ##R(a,x)## and ##R(x,a)## and I don't know. what is the difference between them.

Related to Using existential generalization

What is existential generalization?

Existential generalization is a logical inference rule that allows us to conclude that something exists based on the existence of a specific instance or example.

How does existential generalization work?

Existential generalization works by taking a specific instance or example of something that exists and generalizing it to say that there exists at least one thing that has that property or characteristic.

What is an example of using existential generalization?

An example of using existential generalization would be if we observe a black cat and conclude that there exists at least one black animal, without having observed any other black animals.

What are the limitations of using existential generalization?

The limitations of using existential generalization include the fact that it only allows us to conclude the existence of something, but not its uniqueness or quantity.

How is existential generalization different from universal generalization?

Existential generalization and universal generalization are similar in that they both involve generalizing from specific instances to a more general statement. However, existential generalization deals with the existence of something, while universal generalization deals with the properties or characteristics of something.