Using double integration in finding volume of solid bounded by curves?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question asking to use double integration to find the volume of a solid bounded by a cylinder and two planes. The individual describes their attempt at a solution and the resulting answer of 36pi. They also mention a possible alternative method to check the answer.
ichilouch

Homework Statement

The question is "Use double integration to find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder x2+y2=9 and the planes z=1 and x+z=5"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw the curves and the solid that i formed is a cylinder with a truncated slant like this So my integration equation is:

3-3√(9-x2)-√(9-x2)-x+4 dy dx and the answer that i got is 36pi

I want to check my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
ichilouch said:

Homework Statement

The question is "Use double integration to find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder x2+y2=9 and the planes z=1 and x+z=5"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw the curves and the solid that i formed is a cylinder with a truncated slant like this So my integration equation is:

3-3√(9-x2)-√(9-x2)-x+4 dy dx and the answer that i got is 36pi

I want to check my answer

Usually we expect to see the steps so we don't have to work out the problem ourselves to see if you have any mistakes. That way if the answer is wrong we have some idea where you went astray. Since this is your first post I will tell you that everything looks OK, both your setup and answer.

Fwiw, there is way to the answer that avoids integration (allowing use of pi r2 for area of circle). Note that the sloping face can be cut in half by the plane z=5, and the volume above that rotated to fill the gap below z=5 in the original solid. At least, you could use this to check your answer.

Related to Using double integration in finding volume of solid bounded by curves?

1. How do you set up the double integral for finding the volume of a solid bounded by curves?

To set up the double integral for finding the volume of a solid bounded by curves, you first need to identify the two curves that will be used to define the boundaries of the solid. Next, determine the limits of integration for each variable (x and y) based on the intersection points of the curves. Finally, the integrand should be the difference between the upper and lower curves.

2. What is the difference between double integration and single integration?

Single integration involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval, while double integration involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. In the context of finding the volume of a solid, double integration is used when the solid is bounded by curves in the x-y plane, while single integration is used when the solid is bounded by a curve and a line.

3. Can double integration be used to find the volume of a solid with irregular boundaries?

Yes, double integration can be used to find the volume of a solid with irregular boundaries. In this case, the integrand will be the difference between the upper and lower boundaries of the solid, which may not be defined by simple functions. The limits of integration will also need to be carefully chosen to encompass the entire solid.

4. What are some real-world applications of using double integration to find volume?

Double integration is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the volume of objects with complex shapes, such as airplane wings, car bodies, and buildings. It is also used in mathematics to solve optimization and area problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integration to find volume?

One limitation of using double integration to find volume is that it can be time-consuming and difficult to set up for complex solid shapes. Additionally, it may not be applicable in cases where the solid has a changing density or is composed of multiple materials with varying densities.