Using definition of derivative to calculate, stuck, cant find a cancellation

In summary, using the definition of the derivative, we can compute the derivative of the function f(x) = 1/(1 + x^2) at x=1 to be -1/2 by factoring out a -1 from the numerator and cancelling out the (x-1) term in the denominator.
irebat
use the definition of the derivative to compute the derivative of the function at x=1

f(x) = 1/(1 + x 2) for all x.

The Attempt at a Solution

i put it into lim[ (f(x)-f(xo))/x-xo ] form and got

[(1/1+x2) - (1/2)] <---------numerator
___________________________ <----- division sign ("over")
x-1 <----------- denomenator

form and from there canceled to
2-1-x2 / 2(x2+1)

and then again to -x2 + 1 / 2(x2+1)

but now I am stuck and can't find a cancellation to calculate the limit at x=1 without getting a 0 in there soemwhere

if i stick this into the limit calculation formula itll just give me a 0 and that's no good. i already know the answer is -1/2 but i can't quite get there. any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
irebat said:
use the definition of the derivative to compute the derivative of the function at x=1

f(x) = 1/(1 + x 2) for all x.

The Attempt at a Solution

i put it into lim[ (f(x)-f(xo))/x-xo ] form and got

[(1/1+x2) - (1/2)] <---------numerator
___________________________ <----- division sign ("over")
x-1 <----------- denomenator

form and from there canceled to
2-1-x2 / 2(x2+1)

and then again to -x2 + 1 / 2(x2+1)

but now I am stuck and can't find a cancellation to calculate the limit at x=1 without getting a 0 in there soemwhere

if i stick this into the limit calculation formula itll just give me a 0 and that's no good. i already know the answer is -1/2 but i can't quite get there. any help is appreciated, thanks.

Okay, if I've read this correctly, so far you have
[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(x^2 + 1)}}{x-1}[/tex]
right?

What happens if you factor out a [itex]-1[/itex] from the top fraction's numerator? Is there any algebra you can do on that to divide out the [itex]x-1[/itex]?

BrianMath said:
Okay, if I've read this correctly, so far you have
[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(x^2 + 1)}}{x-1}[/tex]
right?

What happens if you factor out a [itex]-1[/itex] from the top fraction's numerator? Is there any algebra you can do on that to divide out the [itex]x-1[/itex]?

well, actually right now i have

[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(x^2 + 1)}[/tex]

irebat said:
well, actually right now i have

[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(x^2 + 1)}[/tex]

Where did the [itex]x-1[/itex] in the denominator go?

[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{2}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{2}{2(1+x^2)} - \frac{1+x^2}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{2 - 1 - x^2}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1}[/tex]

BrianMath said:
Where did the [itex]x-1[/itex] in the denominator go?

[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{2}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{2}{2(1+x^2)} - \frac{1+x^2}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{2 - 1 - x^2}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1} =
\lim_{x\to 1} \frac{\frac{-x^2 + 1}{2(1+x^2)}}{x-1}[/tex]

omg your right.

careless mistake got me again. dang
yeah, taking that -1 out brings out an x-1 in the numerator that cancels with the denominator that I completely forgot about

and then i can take my limit to get -2/4, which is right.

BIG THANKS, man, seriously.

irebat said:
omg your right.

careless mistake got me again. dang
yeah, taking that -1 out brings out an x-1 in the numerator that cancels with the denominator that I completely forgot about

and then i can take my limit to get -2/4, which is right.

BIG THANKS, man, seriously.

No problem, little mistakes like these happen to the best of us. :smile:

Related to Using definition of derivative to calculate, stuck, cant find a cancellation

1. How do I use the definition of derivative to calculate a problem?

To calculate using the definition of derivative, you first need to understand the formula: f'(x) = lim(h→0)[(f(x+h)-f(x))/h]. This formula represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. To use it, plug in the values of f(x) and f(x+h) from your problem and simplify the expression. Keep in mind that as h gets smaller and approaches 0, the more accurate your result will be.

2. I'm stuck on a problem using the definition of derivative. What should I do?

If you're stuck on a problem, it's always helpful to take a step back and review the definition of derivative and the steps involved in using it. Make sure you fully understand the problem and what is being asked. If you're still struggling, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor.

3. I can't seem to find a cancellation when using the definition of derivative. What am I doing wrong?

If you can't find a cancellation, it could mean that you have made a mistake in your calculations or that the problem does not have any cancellations. Double check your work and make sure you have correctly factored and simplified the expression. If you still can't find a cancellation, it's possible that the problem does not have one.

4. Can I use the definition of derivative for any type of function?

Yes, the definition of derivative can be used for any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the process of using the definition may differ depending on the type of function. It's important to have a solid understanding of the definition and how it applies to different types of functions.

5. How is using the definition of derivative different from using other methods to find the derivative?

The definition of derivative is the most basic and fundamental way to find the derivative of a function. Other methods, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, are shortcuts that can be used for more complex functions. However, understanding the definition of derivative is essential for fully understanding the concept of derivatives and their applications.