Using Continuity of a Trig. Function to Rewrite It

In summary, Wolfram Alpha says that if you use the continuity of tan(n) at n = π / 4, you can rewrite the aforementioned function as tan[lim ((2nπ)/(1 + 8n))]
johnhuntsman
I used Wolfram Alpha to evaluate:

[itex]lim tan[(2nπ)/(1 + 8n)][/itex]
n->infinity

it says that it can use the continuity of tan(n) at n = π / 4 to rewrite the aforementioned function as:

[itex]tan[lim ((2nπ)/(1 + 8n))][/itex]
n->infinity

What is it talking about? I was taught to use certain properties of trig functions as they pertain to limits to solve limits of trig. functions, but this is a bit beyond me.

P.S. I'm not using WA to do my homework or anything, I just wanted to see how one goes about solving a trig. limit like this, as I felt that it wasn't very straighforward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the variable ##x## in stead of ##n##, look at the limit of$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac {2\pi x}{1+8x}$$What does that converge to? That will show you what they are talking about.

LCKurtz said:
Using the variable ##x## in stead of ##n##, look at the limit of$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac {2\pi x}{1+8x}$$What does that converge to? That will show you what they are talking about.

I can see that it converges to π / 4, and I can prove it be substituting some things and simplifying it that way. But I don't understand why they can just at the very beginning of the problem rewrite it in that way from the get go.

When you are dealing with continuous functions, remember that, to put it loosely, "the limit of the function is the function of the limit". That is what allows you to take the limit "across" the function as in$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(\hbox{anything}) = f(\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\hbox{anything})$$as long as the inside limit works. So if you can figure out the limit of the inside part, you are home free.

Alright then. I gotcha. Thanks, I do appreciate it.

Related to Using Continuity of a Trig. Function to Rewrite It

What is continuity of a trigonometric function?

Continuity of a trigonometric function refers to the property of a function where there are no breaks, jumps, or holes in the graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

Why is continuity important in trigonometric functions?

Continuity allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations based on the behavior of a function. It also helps us determine the existence of limits and derivatives, which are important concepts in calculus.

How can we use continuity to rewrite a trigonometric function?

By using the properties of continuity, we can rewrite a trigonometric function in a simplified form. This can help us solve problems and better understand the behavior of the function.

What are some common techniques for rewriting a trigonometric function using continuity?

Some common techniques include using the properties of continuity (such as the intermediate value theorem and the extreme value theorem), using trigonometric identities, and using limits and derivatives.

Are there any restrictions or limitations when using continuity to rewrite a trigonometric function?

Yes, there may be restrictions or limitations depending on the specific function and the techniques used. It is important to carefully consider the domain and range of the function and make sure that the rewritten form is equivalent to the original function.