Using Angles on the Same Arc Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the same arc theorem and drawing certain lines to find an external angle of a triangle. The external angle is the sum of two opposite angles.
markosheehan
View attachment 6471im trying to use angles on the same arc theorem

Attachments

• WIN_20170313_12_36_15_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170313_12_36_15_Pro.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
im trying to use angles on the same arc theorem
Yes, the same arc theorem will certainly come into it. I suggest that you draw the lines $AL$ and $BC$ in the diagram, and then look for an external angle of the triangle $BCD$.

sadly i still can't see it... I've drawn these lines. all i can see now is angleCAL and angleCBL

markosheehan said:
sadly i still can't see it... I've drawn these lines. all i can see now is angleCAL and angleCBL
That's right! Angle $CBL$ is an external angle of the triangle $BCD$, so it is the sum of the two opposite angles.

see it now

Related to Using Angles on the Same Arc Theorem

1. What is the "Using Angles on the Same Arc Theorem"?

The Using Angles on the Same Arc Theorem is a geometric theorem that states that angles inscribed in the same arc of a circle are equal.

2. How is the theorem useful in geometry?

This theorem is useful in geometry as it helps to solve problems involving angles and arcs on a circle. It can also be used to prove other theorems and geometric properties.

3. What are the conditions for the theorem to be applied?

The theorem can only be applied when two or more angles are inscribed in the same arc of a circle. The angles must also be formed by intersecting chords, secants, or tangents on the circle.

4. Can the theorem be extended to more than two angles?

Yes, the theorem can be extended to any number of angles as long as they are inscribed in the same arc of a circle.

5. How is the "Using Angles on the Same Arc Theorem" proven?

The theorem can be proven using the properties of inscribed angles and the central angle theorem. By constructing a triangle with the inscribed angles, it can be shown that all angles are equal and therefore the theorem holds true.