Using a prony brake to determine motor torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a "prony brake" to calculate torque in a motor. The equation given by the instructor involves the radius of the motor's shaft, but the person believes that the force applied should be equal to the amount of force the motor can turn. However, the force is applied to a coupler that is larger than the shaft, and the force is exerted by a belt that only covers half of the shaft's circumference. The conversation also touches on the concept of frictional force opposing torque and the need for further calculations to determine the force on a 1" shaft.
dotmatrix

Homework Statement

Hey guys, not much of a physicist. But, I am fairly certain I am right.
We are using a "prony brake" at school to calculate torque in a motor. To me the amount of force supplied should equal the amount of force the motor can turn ie: when the motor stops the force applied on the "prony brake" is 33 oz.
Now my instructor has given us an equation that says that the radius of the shaft of the motor has something to do with the calculation of the force applied.
My problem is a) we did not apply the force to the shaft but instead a coupler which was roughly 4" in diameter (as opposed to a one inch shaft)
b) the force applied was by a belt which squeezed half of the circumference of the shaft
c) it varied with friction (we poured water on the belt to keep it cool and it reduced the amount of "force"}

So I know enough to say that the equation isn't quite right. And I would like to say that the force that I am exerting on the motor is equivalent to the torque (as it is a frictional force that opposes the rotation) but I don't actually know anything for sure. I think that it shouldn't have anything to do with mass times the radius of the shaft or whatever.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dotmatrix. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Torque = force x radial distance (r being measured perpendicular to the line of action of F)

Your instructor is correct. (Edit: thread title changed from "Help prove prof wrong!")

If the coupler expanded the shaft radius to a large enough dimension, you would be able to stall the motor by lightly pressing on the shaft with just one finger (and non-destructively, at that!).

F alone is not an adequate measure of a motor's "strength".

Last edited by a moderator:
Torque= force x radial distance
The radial distance of the shaft is 1'' the force applied at the coupler is at a radial distance of 4'' (this is where we are applying it)
Furthermore the belt that is applying the force is not perpendicular to the coupler it in fact encompasses the lower 180 degrees of the rotating coupler.

And P in=P out so the motors "strength" to run something plus the "strength" to run itself for all intensive purposes is fairly accurate representation.

At any point of contact, belt friction is perpendicular to the radial distance. It is the torque produced by this frictional force which opposes the shaft's rotation.

dotmatrix said:
Hey guys, not much of a physicist. But, I am fairly certain I am right.
We are using a "prony brake" at school to calculate torque in a motor. To me the amount of force supplied should equal the amount of force the motor can turn ie: when the motor stops the force applied on the "prony brake" is 33 oz.
Now my instructor has given us an equation that says that the radius of the shaft of the motor has something to do with the calculation of the force applied.
My problem is a) we did not apply the force to the shaft but instead a coupler which was roughly 4" in diameter (as opposed to a one inch shaft)
b) the force applied was by a belt which squeezed half of the circumference of the shaft
c) it varied with friction (we poured water on the belt to keep it cool and it reduced the amount of "force"}

So I know enough to say that the equation isn't quite right. And I would like to say that the force that I am exerting on the motor is equivalent to the torque (as it is a frictional force that opposes the rotation) but I don't actually know anything for sure. I think that it shouldn't have anything to do with mass times the radius of the shaft or whatever.

When you said; "So I know enough to say that the equation isn't quite right.", to which equation were you referring to?

According to wiki, the de Prony brake measures the force on a tension belt, from which you can derive both torque and power, knowing other variables.

Well that's what I thought?!?
Force x Radial distance
But the force is exerted on a coupling which is much larger than the shaft (4" vs 1") The shaft of the motor is what they're using for the "calculation"
So therefore the force exerted is across a belt which rests upon 180 degrees of the lower circumference of the coupling.
Would this not be a measurement of frictional force in direct opposition to torque?
*Note electrician, not physicist

dotmatrix said:
Well that's what I thought?!?
Force x Radial distance
But the force is exerted on a coupling which is much larger than the shaft (4" vs 1") The shaft of the motor is what they're using for the "calculation"
So therefore the force exerted is across a belt which rests upon 180 degrees of the lower circumference of the coupling.
Would this not be a measurement of frictional force in direct opposition to torque?
*Note electrician, not physicist

I'm fairly certain that if you had done the measurement with the belt around the 1" shaft, the force would have been much higher than the 33oz you measured from the 4" coupling.

I will leave that to you as a homework assignment, to determine what the force would be on the 1" shaft.

It's nearly midnight, and I'm off to bed. I'll check your answer in the morning. Please show all your work.

Likes OmCheeto
dotmatrix said:
Torque= force x radial distance
The radial distance of the shaft is 1'' the force applied at the coupler is at a radial distance of 4'' (this is where we are applying it)
Furthermore the belt that is applying the force is not perpendicular to the coupler it in fact encompasses the lower 180 degrees of the rotating coupler.

Any chance of a diagram or photo? Is it similar to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Prony_brake

In its simplest form an engine is connected to a rotating drum by means of an output shaft. A friction band is wrapped around half the drum's circumference and each end attached to a separate spring balance. A substantial pre-load is then applied to the ends of the band, so that each spring balance has an initial and identical reading. When the engine is running, the frictional force between the drum and the band will increase the force reading on one balance and decrease it on the other. The difference between the two readings multiplied by the radius of the driven drum is equal to the torque. If the engine speed is measured with a tachometer, the brake horsepower is easily calculated.

More or less, take the diagram, but instead of using weight, your actually tightening the device and measuring the output with a spring scale. Does that make sense?
Rotary power (in Newton-meters per second, N·m/s) = 2π × lever length (in meters, m) × rotational speed (in revolutions per second) × measured force (in Newtons, N)
Rotary Power being equal to torque

i just read that description, feeling a little slow at this hour

Likes OmCheeto

Related to Using a prony brake to determine motor torque

1. How does a prony brake work to determine motor torque?

A prony brake is a simple device used to measure the torque produced by a motor. It consists of two wooden blocks or jaws that are connected by a bolt and nut. The upper block is fixed, while the lower block is attached to a lever arm. When the lever arm is turned, the lower block exerts a force on the upper block, creating a braking effect. By measuring the force exerted by the lower block and the distance between the blocks, the torque produced by the motor can be calculated.

2. What are the advantages of using a prony brake over other methods for determining motor torque?

One advantage of using a prony brake is its simplicity and low cost. It can be easily constructed and does not require specialized equipment. Additionally, the prony brake can be used to measure torque at different speeds and can be adjusted to accommodate a wide range of motor sizes.

3. Are there any limitations to using a prony brake for measuring motor torque?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a prony brake. The accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as friction between the blocks and the lever arm, as well as the alignment and balance of the blocks. Additionally, the prony brake may not be suitable for measuring torque in motors with high speeds or very low torques.

4. How can the results from a prony brake be used in motor performance analysis?

The results obtained from a prony brake can be used to determine the power and efficiency of a motor. By measuring the torque at different speeds, the power output of the motor can be calculated. This information can then be used to optimize the motor's performance and identify any inefficiencies or issues that need to be addressed.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a prony brake?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be followed when using a prony brake. It is important to use caution when operating the lever arm to avoid any accidents or injuries. Additionally, the prony brake should be securely mounted to a stable surface to prevent it from moving or tipping over during use.