Using a Power Supply - Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discussed a person's experience with building a power supply and their lack of knowledge in electrical devices. The power supply has both AC and DC voltage options with various terminals for each. The COM terminal is used as a common terminal for the DC section and may be floating with respect to Earth ground. The conversation also touched on the different factors to consider when purchasing a power supply, such as wattage and compatibility with different computer components.
ThereIam
Um, so I'm building this power supply but I am somewhat new to a lot of actual electrical devices...

I have a precision power supply unit. There is an AC voltage option and a DC voltage option.

Within the AC voltage are there are three terminals. The outer two are yellow and marked 6.3VAC and the inner one is 2.6VAC.

For DC there are four terminals the first two being red, then a black one, then a yellow.
They are marked respectively, +5v/3A, +1.25-15V/1A, COM, and -1.25--15V,1A

What does the COM terminal do? And with this power supply, only one terminal will need to be used at a time, true?

This is making me feel stupid.

Thanks.

Oh, if you want to look at a picture,
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=ruAyTvCDDeXSiALG-KXECA&ved=0CFoQ8gIwAA

Physics news on Phys.org
ThereIam said:
Um, so I'm building this power supply but I am somewhat new to a lot of actual electrical devices...

I have a precision power supply unit. There is an AC voltage option and a DC voltage option.

Within the AC voltage are there are three terminals. The outer two are yellow and marked 6.3VAC and the inner one is 2.6VAC.

For DC there are four terminals the first two being red, then a black one, then a yellow.
They are marked respectively, +5v/3A, +1.25-15V/1A, COM, and -1.25--15V,1A

What does the COM terminal do? And with this power supply, only one terminal will need to be used at a time, true?

This is making me feel stupid.

Thanks.

Oh, if you want to look at a picture,
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=ruAyTvCDDeXSiALG-KXECA&ved=0CFoQ8gIwAA

COM means the common terminal for the DC section. So to use the 5V supply, you connect your + wire to the +5V plug, and your - wire (your ground wire) to the COM plug.

The COM plug is typically floating with respect to Earth ground, so you could stack several power supplies if you wanted to, by connecting the + output of one power supply to the COM of a second power supply. You should check with your DVM to see if that power supply's COM plug is connected to Earth ground or not. Is there a separate Earth ground terminal somewhere on the power supply (I couldn't see it in the picture)? Does the power supply use a 2-prong or 3-prong power plug to the AC Mains?

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for sharing your information. Really I am very appreciated here and this is the very useful information. Power supplies are generally rated by wattage. The more watts, the more money, Some offers more IDE drive connections. Some offer more SATA power connections. Some are specific for AMD vs Intel boards. Some are interchangeable between board brands. It is mostly a matter of preference, but mainly a question of how many watts you are getting yourself into. The total number of watts indicated is a total number of watts that it can support on demand. If you're buying a new power supply, it's okay to plan ahead, pretend like you are doing an upgrade to your computer and buy something that's actually ratted better than what you may need.

Thanks a lot
Dagwood Torres

Related to Using a Power Supply - Questions & Answers

1. What is a power supply?

A power supply is a device that converts electric energy from one form to another in order to provide power to electronic devices. It takes in AC power from an outlet and converts it to DC power, which is used by most electronic devices.

2. How do I choose the right power supply for my device?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a power supply is the voltage and amperage required by your device. Make sure to match the voltage and provide enough amperage to power your device. It is also important to choose a reputable and reliable brand to ensure the safety and longevity of your device.

3. Can I use a power supply with a higher voltage or amperage than my device requires?

No, it is not recommended to use a power supply with a higher voltage or amperage than what your device requires. This can potentially damage your device and void its warranty. Always use a power supply that meets the exact specifications of your device.

4. How do I connect a power supply to my device?

The power supply will come with a cable that has a plug on one end and a set of wires on the other. The plug goes into the power supply, and the wires are connected to the appropriate terminals on your device. Make sure to match the positive and negative terminals correctly to avoid damaging your device.

5. Is it safe to use a power supply with multiple devices?

Yes, it is safe to use a power supply with multiple devices as long as the total voltage and amperage requirements of the devices do not exceed the capabilities of the power supply. Make sure to use a power supply that has enough ports and power to support all of your devices.