Power supply using a voltage regulator?

In summary, Sophie suggests that a voltage regulator be used as a power supply for a system consisting of aluminium metal plates submerged in water. The voltage regulator has a variable output that can be adjusted from 0-250V and has a maximum capacity of 12A. Sophie recommends that a ten-amp battery charger be used to power the system.
earthwalker
I would like to inquire if a voltage regulator maybe used as a power supply to a system. I am not very familiar with EE stuffs so any help would be appreciated :)

Our system consists of aluminum metal plates submerged in water. It needs to be supplied with 10A (DC) thru the portion of the plate that is not submerged.

What I have is a voltage regulator with variable output. Its input is 220V and output maybe adjusted thru a knob from 0-250V and with maximum capacity of 12A.

My question is that will it suffice to serve as our power supply? Would the output be DC or AC? And am I right to say that what we are supposed to do is to adjust the voltage output until the current read is 10A? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are "not very familiar with EE" then I would strongly advise that you steer well clear of building equipment to operate with live 220V parts. What you describe seems potentially dangerous and discussing it is probably contrary to PF rules, I'm afraid

Hi sophiecentaur, thanks for your concern. However, doing the experiment is a must as it is a research that's pre-requisite for graduation on my engineering degree. What do you suggest then?

Start with a ten-amp battery charger. It does not make lethal voltage.

It doesn't take hundreds of volts to dissociate water.

Ask the maintenance guys at your school. I'll bet there's a 'dead' golfcart charger around someplace, perhaps security, and repairing it would be a good learning experience. They're typically 30 amps 36 volts do won't "bite" unless you're wet.

Even with a golfcart charger, if used without care, you can easily have a fire with 360VA. I wonder if the OP has considered how necessary FUSES are in a situation like this?

earthwalker said:
Hi sophiecentaur, thanks for your concern. However, doing the experiment is a must as it is a research that's pre-requisite for graduation on my engineering degree. What do you suggest then?

If this is a lab project then why do you need hundreds of volts and amps? A small scale investigation using a bench power supply should produce all the data you could need about electrolysis with aluminium (unless you are actually considering electrolytic refining).

Thats what I have on hand. Anyway, maybe I'm just going to ask someone more experienced at the subject matter to assemble it for me. Thanks for your help anyways!

Related to Power supply using a voltage regulator?

1. What is a voltage regulator and how does it work?

A voltage regulator is an electronic device that is used to regulate the output voltage of a power supply. It works by continuously monitoring the output voltage and making adjustments to keep it at a stable level, despite changes in input voltage or load. This allows for a consistent and reliable power supply for electronic devices.

2. Why is a voltage regulator necessary in a power supply?

A voltage regulator is necessary because most electronic devices require a specific and stable voltage to function properly. Without a voltage regulator, the output voltage of a power supply can fluctuate, which can damage sensitive electronic components or cause devices to malfunction.

3. What types of voltage regulators are commonly used in power supplies?

The most commonly used voltage regulators in power supplies are linear regulators and switching regulators. Linear regulators are simpler and cheaper, but less efficient, while switching regulators are more complex and expensive, but more efficient.

4. How do you choose the right voltage regulator for a specific power supply?

The right voltage regulator for a specific power supply depends on factors such as the input voltage range, desired output voltage, maximum output current, and efficiency requirements. It is important to carefully consider these factors and choose a regulator that can meet the needs of the power supply and the electronic devices it will be powering.

5. Can a voltage regulator be used for both AC and DC power supplies?

Yes, there are voltage regulators that can be used for both AC and DC power supplies. However, some voltage regulators are specifically designed for either AC or DC power, so it is important to check the specifications of a regulator before using it in a specific power supply.