Using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator

In summary, the person is planning to use a 100c 8hp motorbike engine to rotate a 2KW generator at 1500rpm. They propose setting the engine at 2200rpm on no load to maintain 1500rpm when the generator is at full load. They are wondering if the generator will produce more than 240v at 2200rpm and if a voltage regulator can be used to maintain a constant 240v output. Experts suggest using a voltage regulator, speed governor, and AC frequency reference if using an induction generator. They also mention that a gas motor and generator combination is called a genset and provide a link to an example.
regencydon
Hi,
I am thinking to use a 100c 8hp motorbike engine to rotate a 2KW generator which must be turned at 1500rpm. I thought of setting the bike engine to 2200rpm on no load so that when I put the generator on full load, the rpm hopefully will not go under 1500rpm. So what I want to know is, if the generator produces 240v at 1500 rpm and if i run the engine at 2200rpm, will the generator produce more than 240v. If so, if I fit a voltage regulator to the output of the generator, will it reduce the volt to 240v constant. Please help me with this guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean AC generators, right?

How voltage changes with RPM depends on what kind of generator, induction, synchronous, variable frequency?

Yes you need a voltage regulator, and a speed governor if the electric load is variable, and a AC frequency reference if using an induction generator.

By the way, a gas motor paired with a generator is called a genset. Such as this one:

https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///home/chronos/u-e3f5c9b708165d5f264d230e2b32c94680c0512f/MyFiles/Downloads/5c4c81eccfe734893.pdf

Related to Using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator

1. How does using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator work?

The motorbike engine is connected to the generator through a system of belts and pulleys. As the engine runs, it turns the belts, which in turn rotate the generator, producing electricity.

2. What are the benefits of using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator?

Using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator is a cost-effective and efficient way to generate electricity. It requires less maintenance and produces less pollution compared to traditional power generators.

3. How much electricity can be generated using a motorbike engine and a generator?

The amount of electricity generated depends on the size and power of the motorbike engine and the generator. However, on average, a motorbike engine can produce enough electricity to power small appliances and devices.

4. Can any motorbike engine be used to rotate a generator?

Most motorbike engines can be used to rotate a generator, as long as they have enough power and are compatible with the generator. It is important to consult a professional to ensure the right engine and generator combination for optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a motorbike engine to rotate a generator?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when using a motorbike engine. This includes proper installation, regular maintenance, and using protective gear. It is also important to ensure the engine is turned off before performing any maintenance or adjustments.