Using a factorial moment generating function to find probability func.

In summary, the two books have the same answer to the question of the probability function for X when evaluated at t=0, but the equation used to get there is different.
Fictionarious

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! Me and my colleague are working our way through Harold J Larson's "Introduction to Probability Theory and Statistical Inference: Third Edition", and we found something interesting. We both have the same edition of the text, but mine is slightly newer?, and one problem is different between our two identical versions, problem 7 of chapter 3.4. His is:

The factorial moment generating function for a discrete random variable Y is

ψY(t) = et-1

Find the probability function (cumulative probability function, I presume) for Y.

Mine is the same type of question, except,

ψY(t) = (et-1)/(e-1) is what I see.

I suppose my first question is, how could these both possibly have the same answer / be the same? The solution is the same in both our books.

Homework Equations

The book gives a number of relevant equations.

ψX(t) = E[tX] = E[eXln(t)] = mX(ln(t)) This I guess I follow, since E[X] is just expected value or mean, and mX(t) is the moment generating function.

It also says (dk/dtkX(t)|t=0 = k!pX(n),

that is, that the kth derivative of the factorial moment generating function evaluated at t=0 is just some constant times the probability function for X. This leads me to suspect this is how we'd go about finding an answer to the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

The extent of our attempt to get the answer the back of the book has -

pX(k) = (1/k!), k = 1,2,3, . . .

has been along these lines:

(using his version of the problem)

Derivative of et-1 is just et-1. Evaluated at t=0, you get e-1
Do the same for any subsequent derivatives and the answer is of course the same. Nowhere is k! coming up.

(using my version of the problem)

Derivative of (et-1)/(e-1) is just et/(e-1). Evaluated at t=0, you get 1/(e-1). Do the same for any subsequent derivatives and the answer is of course the same. Where is the k! coming in?

An explanation of either of our versions of the problem would be much appreciated, and/or an explanation of how they're really the same (I'm hoping that one of our books isn't just plain wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
Fictionarious said:
Find the probability function (cumulative probability function, I presume) for Y.
No, it's the PDF.
(dk/dtkX(t)|t=0 = k!pX(n),
(dk/dtkX(t)|t=0 = k!pX(k)
the answer the back of the book has is pX(k) = (1/k!), k = 1,2,3, . . .

(using his version of the problem)

Derivative of et-1 is just et-1. Evaluated at t=0, you get e-1
Do the same for any subsequent derivatives and the answer is of course the same. Nowhere is k! coming up.
Using the (corrected) equation you quoted: e-1 = k!pX(k)
What's wrong with that? (But, what is the range of k here?)
(using my version of the problem)

Derivative of (et-1)/(e-1) is just et/(e-1). Evaluated at t=0, you get 1/(e-1).
Except for one particular value of k :wink:. This is the version that matches the answer in the book.

k = 0, 1, . . ., n.

yeah, k!px(k) is what I meant to say.

So, if 1/(e-1) matches the answer in the back, I guess I just don't see how. Are we summing all the values of (1/k!) for the entire range of k?, because then I would see how Ʃ(1/k!) over the range of k would be 1/(e-1), but only if we excluded k=0 or k=1 (and n was infinity).

And in that case, 1/e would be the (more) correct answer.

I guess what I'm not understanding is this -

pX(k) is supposed to be 1/k!

k! is clearly . . . k!

Shouldn't that mean that k!pX(k) is 1? But we're getting 1/e or 1/(e-1), not 1.

We're really just not sure how solve this kind of problem in general.

EDIT: oh, well, in the answer it does specify k starts at 1, so that's something. So could we say?,

in the case of et-1, the answer would be 1/k!, k = 0, 1, . . ., n

and in the case of (et-1)/(e-1), the answer would be 1/k!, k = 1, 2, . . ., n

Last edited:
Fictionarious said:
pX(k) is supposed to be 1/k!
No, as I wrote, that is wrong. It doesn't add up to 1. If it's for k = 0, 1... then pX(k) = e-1/k! If it's for k = 1, 2... then pX(k) = (e-1)-1/k!

Not sure you've understood the difference in the two cases. For ψY(t) = (et-1)/(e-1) and k = 0, what is the kth derivative evaluated at t = 0?

Related to Using a factorial moment generating function to find probability func.

1. What is a factorial moment generating function (FMGF)?

A factorial moment generating function is a mathematical tool used to find the probability distribution of a random variable. It is defined as the expected value of the random variable raised to the power of n, where n is a non-negative integer.

2. How does a FMGF help in finding probability functions?

A FMGF allows us to find the moments of a random variable, which are used to determine the probability distribution. By taking derivatives of the FMGF, we can find the moments and then use them to calculate the probability function.

3. What are the advantages of using a FMGF over other methods?

One advantage of using a FMGF is that it can be used for any type of random variable, regardless of its distribution. Additionally, it allows for quick and accurate calculation of moments, which can be difficult to find using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using a FMGF?

While FMGFs are useful tools, they may not always be practical to use in complex situations. In some cases, the FMGF may not exist or may be difficult to find, making it challenging to use for probability calculations. Additionally, FMGFs may not provide the most accurate results for highly skewed or heavy-tailed distributions.

5. Can a FMGF be used for multivariate distributions?

Yes, FMGFs can be extended to multivariate distributions by using multiple variables in the function. This allows for the calculation of joint moments and the determination of the joint probability distribution of multiple random variables.