Use the variation method with trial Wavefunction (Szabo and Oslund ex 1.18)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schrodinger equation for an electron moving in one dimension under the influence of a potential and the use of the variation method to find an upper bound for the exact ground state energy. The conversation also includes relevant equations and a solution attempt. However, the calculation for the kinetic energy is incorrect and the correct upper bound for the energy is -1/pi. The correct value of a that minimizes the upper bound is needed to obtain this result.

Is this question useful?

• very much so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • somewhat so

• a little

• not relevant

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gradstudentNZ

Homework Statement

The Schrodinger equation (in atomic units) of an electron moving in one dimension under the influence of the potential -delta(x) [dirac delta function] is:

(-1/2.d2/dx2-delta(x)).psi=E.psi

use the variation method with the trial function psi'=Ne-a.x2 to show that -pi-1 is an upper bound to the exact ground state energy (which is -0.5). You will need the integral:

int(-inf..inf)dx. x2me-a.x2=(2m)!pi1/2/22mm!.am+1/2

Homework Equations

a) 1D Shrodinger eq: (-1/2.d2/dx2-delta(x)).phi=E.psi
b) trial wave function: psi'=Ne-a.x2
c) Useful integral: int(-inf..inf)dx. x2me-a.x2=(2m)!pi1/2/22mm!.am+1/2

d) variation method: E0<= <psi'|H|psi'>/|<psi'|psi'>|2

The Attempt at a Solution

You basically need to plug in the wave function psi' (equation b) into the variation method (equation d) using the hamiltonian in equation a). I do this but do not arrive at -1/pi. Instead I get the answer: a-(2a)1/2/pi1/2

Can anyone find the error in my logic/arithmetic below?

First determine the normalization constant N in psi' by computing: <psi'|psi'> = 1 and solving for N.

This gives: N2int(-inf..inf)dxe-2ax2 using equation c) for this integral with m = 0 I obtain:

N2pi1/2/(2a)1/2=1
therefore N2=(2a)1/2/pi1/2

The hamiltonian has two terms the kinetic energy (Ke) and the potential energy (V) term.

<psi'|H|psi'> = <psi'|Ke|psi'> + <psi'|V|psi'>

where Ke = -1/2d2/dx2
and V = -delta(x)

First compute the Ke term in the integral <psi'|H|psi'>

Ke integral = <psi'|-1/2d2/dx2|psi'>

The first derivative of psi' is:
d/dx psi' = N(-2ax.e-ax2)

Therefore the second derivative is:
d2/dx2 psi' = N( (2ax)2 -2a) e-ax2

using this the Ke integral becomes:

=-1/2 N2int(-inf..inf).dx ( (2ax)2 -2a) e-2ax2

the first term in the brackets corresponds to m = 1 in the useful integral (equation c) and the second term in the brackets corresponds to m = 0 in the useful integral (equation c)

So the Ke integral becomes (after cancelling terms and rearranging):

<psi'|Ke|psi'> = (1/2)N2((2a)1/2pi1/2)

The potential energy integral is the following:

<psi'|V|psi'> = <psi'|-delta(x)|psi'>

= -N2 ea.0

=-N2

so the whole term < psi'|H|psi'> is:

(1/2)N2((2a)1/2pi1/2) -N2

now all that remains is to plug in N2 which we computed at the beginning:

this reduces the above to:

a-(2a)1/2/pi1/2

this is not -1/pi given in the question... so can anyone tell me what algebra/logic error have I committed?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to check your calculation for the kinetic energy. I found
[tex]\left\langle \psi' \left\lvert -\frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \right\rvert \psi' \right\rangle = \frac{1}{2}N^2\sqrt{\frac{a\pi}{2}}[/tex]
You're going to end up with an upper bound for the energy that depends on a. What you want to do is then find the value of a that minimizes the upper bound. At that value of a, the upper bound is [itex]-1/\pi[/itex].

Related to Use the variation method with trial Wavefunction (Szabo and Oslund ex 1.18)

1. What is the variation method?

The variation method is a mathematical technique used to find an approximate solution to a quantum mechanical problem. It involves selecting a trial wavefunction and using it to calculate an energy value, which is then minimized to find the most accurate solution.

2. How does the variation method work?

The variation method works by selecting a trial wavefunction, which is a mathematical representation of the system being studied. This wavefunction is then used to calculate an energy value, which is compared to the actual energy of the system. If the energy value is lower than the actual energy, the trial wavefunction is adjusted and the process is repeated until the energy is minimized.

3. What is the significance of the trial wavefunction in the variation method?

The trial wavefunction is the key component in the variation method. It represents the possible solutions to the quantum mechanical problem being studied. By selecting an appropriate trial wavefunction and optimizing it through the variation method, an accurate solution to the problem can be obtained.

4. How is the variation method applied in the Szabo and Oslund example 1.18?

In this example, the variation method is used to find an approximate solution to the ground-state energy of a helium atom. The trial wavefunction used is a linear combination of two hydrogenic 1s orbitals, with adjustable coefficients that are optimized using the variation method. The resulting energy value is then compared to the exact value to assess the accuracy of the solution.

5. What are the advantages of using the variation method with trial wavefunctions?

The variation method with trial wavefunctions allows for a systematic approach to finding approximate solutions to complex quantum mechanical problems. It is relatively simple to implement and can provide a good estimate of the actual energy value. Additionally, it can be used to study a wide range of systems, making it a useful tool for scientists in various fields.