Variation Method: Finding Ground State Energy of 1D Harmonic Oscillator

In summary: In the first part you forgot to include the exponential in the complex conjugated wavefunction, so the integral was not valid. In the third part you forgot to include the complex conjugated wavefunction in the integral.
Firben

Homework Statement

Use the variation method to find a approximately value on the ground state energy at the one dimensional harmonic oscillator, H = -ħ^2/(2m) * d^2/dx^2 + 1/2mω^2*x^2

Homework Equations

H = -ħ^2/(2m) * d^2/dx^2 + 1/2mω^2*x^2
u(x) = Nexp(-ax^2)
<H> = <u|Hu>

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Normilized N is N = (2a/π)^(1/4)

If i start to calculate Hu = N(-ħ^2/(2m)(4a^2*x^2 - 2a) + 1/2*m*ω^2*x^2)exp(-ax^2)

Then

<H> = ∫u*Hu dx = (2a/π)^(1/2)∫[0 to inf](-ħ^2/(2m)(4a^2*x^2 - 2a) + 1/2*m*ω^2*x^2)exp(-ax^2) dx
if i divide the integral into 3 different integrals i got the integral to be equal to -3ħ^2*a/(4m) + mω/(16*√a)) which is incorrect. It should be equal to ħ^2/(2m)*a + 1/8*m*ω^2*1/a why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the integral you mean?
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2a}{\pi}}\int_0^\infty dx\left(\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} (4a^2x^2-2a) + \frac{m\omega^2}{2}x^2\right) \exp{(-ax^2)}[/tex]

The first thing I notice here is that you have forgotten the exponential from the complex conjugated wavefunction in your initial integral.
Secondly you need to show intermediate steps, we cannot see what has gone wrong. (not instantly at least)

In your next post you should mention what those 3 integrals you mentioned are. And how you solved them.
Solving should be quite straightforward as we are dealing with Gaussian integrals (we like those in physics).

A final piece of advise, try to use TeX to typeset your equations, its much more readable and accessible to potential helpers.
It's also useful for writing reports and papers if you need a lot of equations or diagrams.

Joris

I forgotted the complex term, but i used it when i calculated the integral through. See my steps in whiteboard bellow:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/85230
Here is the initial integral, <H>

Snapshot2.jpg

Here is I am dividing the integral into 3 different parts (1), (2) & (3). When i have calculated the 3 different gaussian integrals and have add them together again, i got the following result:
Snapshot3.jpg

Attachments

• Snapshot1.jpg
    Snapshot1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 388
So how did you calculate those separate integrals?

Explicitly, do you know the solutions of following integrals
[tex]\int_0^\infty x^2 e^{-\alpha x^2} dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-\alpha x^2} dx[/tex]

What might help you here is introducing constants A, B and C for each factor in front of the integrals.
Afterwards you can simplify.

So now give me the values for those integrals as well as an expression for the result.

Edit:

I did a quick check of your result.
My result has an extra factor of 1/2 in each term. Are you positive the answer you gave in post #1 is correct?
It is possible I'm mistaken though as I only did a quick check.

Last edited:
Snapshot.jpg

I still got the same result. I got the solutions for the integrals from the Mathematics Handbook for Science and Engineering

How did you get different results for the integral ##\int_0^\infty x^2e^{-2\alpha x^2}## in your first and third part?
That's where your mistake likely can be found.

Related to Variation Method: Finding Ground State Energy of 1D Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is the Variation Method?

The Variation Method is a mathematical technique used to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system, such as a 1-dimensional harmonic oscillator. It involves using a trial wavefunction and adjusting its parameters to minimize the energy expectation value, providing an upper bound for the ground state energy.

2. How does the Variation Method work?

The Variation Method uses the Rayleigh-Ritz variational principle, which states that the energy expectation value of any trial wavefunction will always be greater than or equal to the true ground state energy. By minimizing this expectation value, the closest approximation to the ground state energy can be found.

3. What is the 1D Harmonic Oscillator?

The 1D Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system in which a particle is confined to move along a straight line and is subjected to a restoring force proportional to its displacement from an equilibrium point. It is a commonly used model in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a potential well.

4. Why is finding the ground state energy important?

The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical system can have. It is important to accurately determine this value as it provides crucial information about the behavior and stability of the system. Additionally, it serves as a reference point for comparing with other energy states and can help in predicting the behavior of the system in different conditions.

5. What are the limitations of the Variation Method?

The Variation Method is an approximate technique and can only provide an upper bound for the ground state energy. It also heavily relies on the choice of the trial wavefunction and its corresponding parameters, which can be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, it may not work well for highly complex systems with multiple particles or interactions.