Use the properties of integrals to verify the inequality

In summary, the problem is that the derivative of the function sin(x)/x is decreasing and so it is between 1/sqrt(2) and 1 cos(x) on the given interval.
mgaddafi86

Homework Statement

∫(from pi/4 to pi/2)sin x/x ≤ 1/√2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the pi/4≤x≤pi/2 and so 1/√2 ≤ sin x ≤ 1 and i have tried to manipulate this to no end and it has annoyed the living daylights out of me

Physics news on Phys.org
mgaddafi86 said:

Homework Statement

∫(from pi/4 to pi/2)sin x/x ≤ 1/√2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the pi/4≤x≤pi/2 and so 1/√2 ≤ sin x ≤ 1 and i have tried to manipulate this to no end and it has annoyed the living daylights out of me

sin(x) is increasing on your interval, and so is x. What about sin(x)/x? Is this function increasing, decreasing, or neither? Can you find upper and lower bounds on the values of sin(x)/x on the given interval?

Yes I tried that,
the derivative of the function sin(x)/x would be: [x*cos(x)-sin(x)]/[x^2]

the denominator will be bigger than 0. sin(x) is between 1/sqrt(2) and 1 cos(x) is between 0 and 1/sqrt(2). If I was sure that x is smaller that on or equal to one then I could conclude that the derivative is negative because sinx >= cos x on the interval. But x is between pi/4(smaller than one) and pi/2(bigger than one)

YES NOW I GOT IT!

[x*cos(x)-sin(x)]/[x^2] will be bigger than 0 because:

if 0<=x<=pi/2 then x<=tan(x) so x<=sin(x)/cos(x) xcos(x)<=sin(x) xcos(x)-sin(x)<=0

thus the derivative is negative or 0 on the interval
so sin(x)/x <= sin(pi/4)/(pi/4) because it is decreasing

so ∫(from pi/4 to pi/2)sin x/x <= ∫(from pi/4 to pi/2)1/sqrt(2)*4/pi = 1/sqrt(2)*4/pi*(pi/2-pi/4)= 1/sqrt(2)
YEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I have been working on this stupid problem for 3 days.

Thank you for helping out.

Related to Use the properties of integrals to verify the inequality

1. What are the properties of integrals?

The properties of integrals include linearity, additivity, and the intermediate value property. Linearity states that the integral of a sum is equal to the sum of the individual integrals. Additivity states that the integral of a function over an interval is equal to the sum of the integrals over each subinterval. The intermediate value property states that if a function is continuous on an interval, then it must take on all values between its maximum and minimum on that interval.

2. How do you use linearity to verify an inequality using integrals?

To use linearity to verify an inequality, you can split the integral into smaller parts and then use the linearity property to combine them. For example, if you have an integral of a sum, you can break it into two separate integrals and then use the linearity property to combine them. This can help simplify the integral and make it easier to verify the inequality.

3. Can you use the intermediate value property to verify an inequality?

Yes, the intermediate value property can be used to verify an inequality. If the function is continuous on the interval, then it must take on all values between its maximum and minimum on that interval. By evaluating the integral at the maximum and minimum values, you can determine if the inequality holds true or not.

4. What is the significance of additivity when using integrals to verify an inequality?

Additivity allows you to break up an integral into smaller parts and then combine them back together. This can be helpful when verifying an inequality because it allows you to split the integral into separate parts and evaluate each part individually. If the inequality holds true for each part, then it will also hold true for the entire integral.

5. How can you use the properties of integrals to verify an inequality for a continuous function?

If the function is continuous on the interval, then you can use the intermediate value property to evaluate the integral at the maximum and minimum values. If the maximum and minimum values satisfy the inequality, then it must also hold true for all values between them. You can also use linearity and additivity to break up the integral into smaller parts and evaluate each part separately. If the inequality holds true for each part, then it will also hold true for the entire integral.