Use the Fourier transform directly to solve the heat equation

In summary: Also, don't you want to write ##U(\omega,t) = \hat{u}(\omega,t)##, since ##U(\omega,t)## is the Fourier transform of ##u(x,t)##, not ##u(x,t)## itself? In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier transform to solve the heat equation with a convection term. The steps involved include taking the Fourier transform of both sides of the equation, solving the resulting ODE, and using the convolution theorem to obtain the solution in terms of an inverse Fourier transform. There is also a discussion about the arbitrary constant and the use of notation for the Fourier transform.
richyw

Homework Statement

Use the Fourier transform directly to solve the heat equation with a convection term
[tex]u_t =ku_{xx} +\mu u_x,\quad −infty<x<\infty,\: u(x,0)=\phi(x),
assuming that u is bounded and k > 0.

Homework Equations

fourier transform
inverse Fourier transform
convolution thm

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the FT of both sides i get
[tex]U_t=-k w^2U-iw\mu U[/tex]
[tex]U(0,t)=\Phi(w,0)[/tex]
I solved the ode and got
[tex]U(w)=e^{(\mu i w- w^2k)t}[/tex]
but now I am a bit confused on the next step, is this where I want to get my initial condition involved, or do I want to try and get it back as u(x,t) using inverse FT. I can see that my solution is a gaussian multiplied by another function of F, so I think I might be able to use convolution thm?

Physics news on Phys.org
richyw said:

Homework Statement

Use the Fourier transform directly to solve the heat equation with a convection term
[tex]u_t =ku_{xx} +\mu u_x,\quad −infty<x<\infty,\: u(x,0)=\phi(x),
assuming that u is bounded and k > 0.

Homework Equations

fourier transform
inverse Fourier transform
convolution thm

The Attempt at a Solution

taking the FT of both sides i get
[tex]U_t=-k w^2U-iw\mu U[/tex]
[tex]U(0,t)=\Phi(w,0)[/tex]
Don't you mean ##U(\omega,0) = \Phi(\omega,0)##?

I solved the ode and got
[tex]U(w)=e^{(\mu i w- w^2k)t}[/tex]
but now I am a bit confused on the next step, is this where I want to get my initial condition involved, or do I want to try and get it back as u(x,t) using inverse FT. I can see that my solution is a gaussian multiplied by another function of F, so I think I might be able to use convolution thm?
You left out the arbitrary constant when you solved for ##U(\omega,t)##. You should have ##U(\omega,t) = A(\omega) e^{(i\mu\omega-k\omega^2)t}.##

Related to Use the Fourier transform directly to solve the heat equation

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical model used to describe the flow of heat through a physical system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the change in temperature over time and space within a given system.

2. How is the Fourier transform used to solve the heat equation?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to decompose a function (in this case, the temperature distribution) into a series of sinusoidal functions. By applying the Fourier transform to the heat equation, we can transform it into an algebraic equation that is easier to solve.

3. Can the Fourier transform be used to solve any heat equation?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be used to solve any heat equation, as long as the system being modeled is linear and has a constant thermal conductivity.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform to solve the heat equation?

Yes, the Fourier transform is limited to solving heat equations in systems with one spatial dimension. It cannot be directly applied to systems with multiple spatial dimensions.

5. What are some applications of using the Fourier transform to solve the heat equation?

The Fourier transform is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and analyze heat distribution in various systems. It has applications in areas such as heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.