Use Taylor Series To Evaluate

In summary, the student is trying to use Taylor series to evaluate the limit as x approaches 0 of ln(x)/(x-1). They suggest using the series for ln(1+(x-1)) and dividing by (x-1), and they provide a series expansion for ln(1+(x-1)).
xtrubambinoxpr
1. Homework Statement [/b]
use taylor series to evaluate lim x -> 0 of [itex]\frac{ln(x)}{(x-1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I know that -ln (1-x) taylor polynomial
and that of ln (1+x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the basics that I know I would assume I would just make ln (1+x) = ln (x) by making x = x-1

so ln (1+(x-1)) = ln x

But i don't know if that is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
xtrubambinoxpr said:
1. Homework Statement [/b]
use taylor series to evaluate lim x -> 0 of [itex]\frac{ln(x)}{(x-1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I know that -ln (1-x) taylor polynomial
and that of ln (1+x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the basics that I know I would assume I would just make ln (1+x) = ln (x) by making x = x-1

so ln (1+(x-1)) = ln x

But i don't know if that is correct

Why would you need Taylor series for ##\lim_{x\to 0}##? I guess maybe you really mean ##x\to 1##, which is more interesting? If so, do what you suggest by writing the series for ##\ln(1+(x-1)## and divide by ##x-1##.

LCKurtz said:
Why would you need Taylor series for ##\lim_{x\to 0}##? I guess maybe you really mean ##x\to 1##, which is more interesting? If so, do what you suggest by writing the series for ##\ln(1+(x-1)## and divide by ##x-1##.

correct me if I am wrong but I got 1

Related to Use Taylor Series To Evaluate

1. How do I use Taylor series to evaluate a function?

The Taylor series expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function with an infinite series of polynomial terms. To use the Taylor series to evaluate a function, you first need to determine the center about which the series will be expanded. Then, you can use the Taylor series formula to calculate each term in the series. Finally, you can sum up the terms to get an approximate value for the function at a given point.

2. What is the formula for Taylor series?

The general formula for the Taylor series expansion of a function f(x) about a center x=a is:

f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... + f^n(a)(x-a)^n/n! + ...

where f'(a), f''(a), and f^n(a) represent the first, second, and nth derivative of the function evaluated at x=a, respectively.

3. What is the purpose of using Taylor series?

The purpose of using Taylor series is to approximate a function with a polynomial series. This can be useful in situations where the function is difficult to evaluate directly, or when we only need an approximate solution. Taylor series can also be used to find derivatives and integrals of a function.

4. Can Taylor series be used for any function?

No, Taylor series can only be used for infinitely differentiable functions. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at the point about which the series is expanded. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor series will not accurately approximate the function.

5. What are some applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to approximate functions in calculus, such as trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions. It is also used in numerical analysis to find solutions to differential equations and in signal processing to analyze signals. Additionally, Taylor series is used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.