Use spherical cord to compute area of a disk

In summary, the conversation discusses using spherical coordinates to compute the area of a disk with a center at (0,0,4) and a radius of 3. The suggested method is to use a triple integral, but the respondent points out that a single or double integral would suffice. Additionally, the original attempt at a solution is deemed incorrect due to missing differentials.
kougou

Homework Statement

Use spherical cords to compute area of a disk, that's center at x,y=0, and z=4, having a radius of 3

Homework Equations

I set up a triple ∫∫∫ (r^2* sin(theta)), running from phi =0 to 2pi,
theta=0 to arcsin(3/5), r=5sin(theta) to 5.

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't give me a current answer. What's wrong

Am I even on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
kougou said:

Homework Statement

Use spherical cords to compute area of a disk, that's center at x,y=0, and z=4, having a radius of 3

Homework Equations

I set up a triple ∫∫∫ (r^2* sin(theta)), running from phi =0 to 2pi,
theta=0 to arcsin(3/5), r=5sin(theta) to 5.
This is way off. To compute area you need only a single integral or at most a double integral.

Also, you have omitted the differentials on your integral.
kougou said:

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't give me a current answer. What's wrong

Am I even on the right track?

Related to Use spherical cord to compute area of a disk

1. How does using spherical cord help in computing the area of a disk?

The use of spherical cord allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of the area of a disk. By wrapping the cord around the disk, it takes into account the curvature of the disk and provides a more comprehensive measurement.

2. Can the spherical cord method be used for any size or shape of a disk?

Yes, the spherical cord method can be used for any size or shape of a disk as long as the cord is able to wrap around it completely. It is not limited to just circular disks, but can also be used for irregularly shaped disks.

3. How do you measure the length of the spherical cord for this calculation?

The length of the spherical cord can be measured by simply wrapping it around the disk and marking the starting and ending points. This length can then be measured using a ruler or measuring tape.

4. Can the spherical cord method be used for calculating the area of a 3-dimensional object?

No, the spherical cord method is specifically designed for calculating the area of a 2-dimensional disk. It may not provide accurate results for 3-dimensional objects.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the spherical cord method?

One limitation of the spherical cord method is that it may not provide precise measurements for disks with very small or large radii. Additionally, the method may not be feasible for objects with irregular surfaces or those that cannot be easily wrapped with a cord.