Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.

In summary: Good job!In summary, the problem involves finding the volume in the first octant bounded by the paraboloid z = 4 + 2x2 + 2y2 and the plane z = 10. By setting up the integral with the correct limits of integration, the correct volume of 9π/4 is obtained.
Julie323

Homework Statement

Bounded by the paraboloid z = 4 + 2x2 + 2y2 and the plane z = 10 in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in 10 for z I got 3=x2+y2. From this, I set 0[tex]\leqr[/tex][tex]\leq3\sqrt{}[/tex].
I wasn't sure what to do with the first octant, but I guess that it meant 0[tex]\leq\vartheta[/tex][tex]\leq/2\pi[/tex]
I set my equation to be -6+2r2r dr d[tex]\vartheta[/tex].
After integrating I got -9[tex]\pi[/tex]/4
This was wrong. Any idea where I messed up? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, something messed up with the symbols, but I meant 0 less than or equal to r less than or equal to square root of 3

Edit your original post and use LaTeX to typeset entire expressions instead of using it for just individual symbols. It'll be easier to read.

For the square root of 3, the code should be \sqrt{3}. What goes under the radical is inside the braces.

First octant means that theta goes from 0 to pi/2.

Likes asian boy
Basically my question is how to set it up. What I have right now is r going from 0 to \sqrt{3} and theta from 0 to pi/2 For my equation I have tried -6 +2r^2 r dr d(theta) and 4 + 2r^2 r dr d(theta). These gave me answers of -9pi/4 and 21pi/4. These are both wrong.
Does anyone see what I have set up wrong?

Cleaned up your original post so it's readable.
Julie323 said:

Homework Statement

Bounded by the paraboloid z = 4 + 2x2 + 2y2 and the plane z = 10 in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in 10 for z I got 3=x2+y2. From this, I set [tex]0 \leq r \le \sqrt{3}[/tex].
I wasn't sure what to do with the first octant, but I guess that it meant [tex]0 \leq \vartheta \leq \pi/2[/tex]
I set my equation to be [tex](-6+2r^2)r dr d\vartheta[/tex].
After integrating I got [tex]-9\pi/4[/tex]
This was wrong. Any idea where I messed up? Thanks
The volume is given by

[tex]V=\int dV = \int (z_\mathrm{max}-z_\mathrm{min})\,dA[/tex]

For each little area element dA in the base, you multiply it by the height (zmax-zmin) to get an element of volume dV. In this case, you have an element of area [itex]dA=r\,dr\,d\vartheta[/itex], and you found the limits correctly. You just messed up the height.

It's always a good idea to draw a sketch to visualize what's going on. I've attached plots of the functions, a top view and a side view. Can you spot your mistake now?

Attachments

• topview.png
    topview.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 906
  • sideview.png
    sideview.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 839
okay, so the equation I used also included the the portion of the paraboloid below the plane z=10? Do I need to subtract the portion below the plane? I don't know what to do with this kind of problem. I looked for an example like it in the book, but the only one was an even number so I do not have the solution to it. Thanks for the help!

The volume is the portion below the plane. Imagine a vertical line running through the volume. What are zmax, the largest value of z, and zmin, the smallest value of z, on that line?

z max would be 10 and z min would be 4. So I just integrate 4 r dr dtheta?

No, that's not right. I should have been clearer. Both zmax and zmin are generally functions of r and θ. In this case, since the top is z=10, zmax=10 is a constant, but zmin will be the expression that describes the paraboloid.

O okay. So the equation is 10-(4+2x2+2y2)? Which simplifies to 6-2r2. Integrating this using my previous limits gives me 9pi/4. Does that look right? Thanks so much!

Yup, that's the result I got too.

Related to Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance (r) from a fixed point and an angle (θ) from a fixed axis. They are often used in situations where the traditional Cartesian coordinates (x,y) are not convenient.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the following formulas:

r = √(x^2 + y^2)

θ = tan^-1(y/x)

3. How do you find the volume of a solid using polar coordinates?

To find the volume of a solid using polar coordinates, you need to use the formula V = ∫∫∫ r dr dθ dz, where r represents the distance from the origin, θ represents the angle from a fixed axis, and dz represents the height of the solid.

4. Can polar coordinates be used for three-dimensional objects?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to represent three-dimensional objects. In this case, the formula for finding the volume would be V = ∫∫∫ r^2 sin(θ) dr dθ dφ, where φ represents the angle from the z-axis.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates for finding volume?

One limitation of using polar coordinates for finding volume is that it can only be used for symmetric objects. Additionally, the boundaries of the solid must be easily defined in terms of r and θ. If these conditions are not met, it may be more difficult to use polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid.