Use of Division Algorithm word problem

In summary, the two license numbers have birth dates of June 18th 1942 and April 5th 1953 respectively.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

In Florida, the fourth and fifth digits from the end of a driver's license number give the year of birth. The last three digits for a male with birth month m and date b are represented by 40(m-1)+b. Determine the dates of birth of people who have last five digits 42218 and 53953.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For license number 42218 I set up the formula:

218=40(m-1)+b
218=40m-30+b
258=40m+b
258=40(6)+18.

June 18th 1942. (even though I consider 18 to be the fourth and fifth digits and 42 to be the first and second).

For the second license number 53953 I set up the problem the same way and wound up with:

993=40m+b

I can't seem to find any m's or b's that make "Sense", i.e. m between 1 and 12 and b between 1 and 31.

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:
For the second license number 53953 I set up the problem the same way and wound up with:

993=40m+b

I can't seem to find any m's or b's that make "Sense", i.e. m between 1 and 12 and b between 1 and 31.

Yes, from the information given, the largest number for that 3 digit code should be 11x40 + 31 = 471. So perhaps the question has a typo.

Last edited:
uart said:
Yes, the largest number for that 3 digit code should be 11x40 + 31 = 471. So perhaps the question has a typo.

That's what I was hoping! good to see I'm not missing anything.

thank you.

Are you sure there's not some further information to that problem that we're not being told. The example says "for a male" ..., perhaps they add 500 for a female?

uart said:
Are you sure there's not some further information to that problem that we're not being told. The example says "for a male" ..., perhaps they add 500 for a female?

I think you may be right. It's worded very poorly however.

anyway, onto the next.

Related to Use of Division Algorithm word problem

1. What is the Division Algorithm?

The Division Algorithm is a mathematical concept that states that any integer can be divided by another integer, resulting in a quotient and a remainder. It is used to solve division problems and is based on the properties of division.

2. How is the Division Algorithm used to solve word problems?

The Division Algorithm can be applied to word problems by converting the given situation into a division problem. The dividend would be the total amount or quantity, and the divisor would be the number of groups or parts. The quotient would then represent the amount in each group, and the remainder would represent any leftover amount.

3. What are the steps to solve a word problem using the Division Algorithm?

The steps to solve a word problem using the Division Algorithm are as follows:
1. Read and understand the given problem.
2. Identify the dividend and divisor in the problem.
3. Set up the division problem, with the dividend as the total amount and the divisor as the number of groups or parts.
4. Solve the division problem, keeping in mind the properties of division.
5. Interpret the quotient and remainder in the context of the problem.
6. Check the answer to ensure it makes sense and answers the original question.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using the Division Algorithm to solve word problems?

Some common mistakes when using the Division Algorithm include:
- Incorrectly identifying the dividend and divisor in the problem.
- Not applying the properties of division correctly.
- Forgetting to interpret the quotient and remainder in the context of the problem.
- Making computational errors while solving the division problem.
To avoid these mistakes, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check the solution.

5. Can the Division Algorithm be used to solve all types of word problems?

The Division Algorithm can be used to solve many types of word problems, but it may not be applicable to all situations. For example, it may not be useful in problems involving fractions or decimal numbers. In such cases, other methods such as fraction or decimal division may be more appropriate.