Use - disks, washers or shells? integrate volume of revolving solids

In summary: V = [2 - y2 - y] ΔyThe total volume is the limit of the sum of all such ΔV's as the subintervals Δy approach 0. Hence you have the following integral...V = ∫[0-1] [2 - y2 - y]dyThe lower limit is 0 because the integration is with respect to y. The upper limit is 1 because the strip located at (1, 1) forms the top of the volume.The rest of your work is correct.b) Volume when the region is rotated about y-axis:Method Used: Washer MethodV = ∏∫[c-d] f(y)^2 - g(y
Rattanjeet

Physics news on Phys.org
Disks and washers are essentially equivalent - it's analogous to finding area versus finding the area between two curves. So just thinking disks verses washers: it depends on the shape of the relation (not necessarily functions!), what is the best method to use. If you have a relation that's also a function and even 1-1, then it probably doesn't matter. If you have a function that's not 1-1, try [itex]dx[/itex] disks. If you have [itex]x[/itex] as a function of [itex]y[/itex], but it's not 1-1, try shells with a [itex]dy[/itex]. You don't want the infinitesimal shape to intersect the relation except at the endpoints, or you'll have to break up your integral into multiple pieces, which ends up being more work.

How do I set up the integral for the curve y = x, x = 2 - y^2, and y = 0 to find the volume
when it is revolved

around x axis
around y axis
about the line x = -1
y = 1

I am quite confused. Do I change x = 2 - y^2 to y = Squareroot (2 - x), when required. If I do so, does the limit of integral also change or does it remain the same.

You will need to find the intersections of all three defining curves. Where does that happen?

For the around the x-axis case, I'd recommend shells using a dy.

For the around the y-axis case, I'd recommend washers using a dy. Use the same for about the line x = -1.

For around the line y=1, I'd recommend shells using a dy.

Can you see why I picked these?

Rattanjeet said:
How do I set up the integral for the curve y = x, x = 2 - y^2, and y = 0 to find the volume
when it is revolved

around x axis
around y axis
about the line x = -1
y = 1

I am quite confused. Do I change x = 2 - y^2 to y = Squareroot (2 - x), when required. If I do so, does the limit of integral also change or does it remain the same.
The following is copied from a PM sent by Rattanjeet.

Rattanjeet said:
I think I cannot make the graph to show the region bounded by X = 2-y^2, Y=0, and y=x

on setting y = 2 - y^2, I get the limits of integration ±y.

Given below is my work; this is how I set up the integrals:

a) Volume when the region is rotated about x-axis:

Method used: shell method

V=2∏∫[c-d] y g(y) dy
V=2∏{∫[0-1] y (y) dy - ∫[1-2] y(2-y^2)} dy
V=2∏{∫[0-1] y^2 dy - ∫[1-2] (2y-y^3)} dy

b) Volume when the region is rotated about y-axis:

Method Used: Washer Method

V = ∏∫[c-d] f(y)^2 - g(y)^2 dy
V= ∏{∫[0-1] (2-y^2)^2dy - ∫[1-2] (y)^2 dy }

c) Volume when the region is rotated about x = -2:

Method used: Wahser method

V= ∏{∫[0-1] (2-y^2 + 2)^2dy - ∫[1-2] (y+2)^2 dy }
V= ∏{∫[0-1] (4-y^2)^2dy - ∫[1-2] (y+2)^2 dy }

d) Volume when the region is rotated about y = 1:

V = ∏∫[0-1] (1 - y)^2dy - ∏∫[0-1](1-(2-y^2))^2 dy
V = ∏∫[0-1] (1 - y)^2dy - ∏∫[0-1](y^2-1))^2 dy

I just want guidance as to how to determine which method to use and when; also when to change the function from y= f(x) to x = f(y) and vice versa.

I have read the book again and again, solved dozens of questions and still I am not sure. I want to be confident when I apply the method and set up the integral and its limits. This is the guidance I require. I do not want any question to be solved for me.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Intersections are (0,0), (1,1) and (2,0)

And my working of this question is as follows:

V=2∏∫[c-d] y g(y) dy

c) Volume when the region is rotated about x = -2:

Method used: Wahser method

V= ∏{∫[0-1] (2-y^2 + 2)^2dy - ∫[1-2] (y+2)^2 dy }
V= ∏{∫[0-1] (4-y^2)^2dy - ∫[1-2] (y+2)^2 dy }

d) Volume when the region is rotated about y = 1:

V = ∏∫[0-1] (1 - y)^2dy - ∏∫[0-1](1-(2-y^2))^2 dy
V = ∏∫[0-1] (1 - y)^2dy - ∏∫[0-1](y^2-1))^2 dy

Is my approach correct?

Rattanjeet

Ackbeet said:
You will need to find the intersections of all three defining curves. Where does that happen?

For the around the x-axis case, I'd recommend shells using a dy.

For the around the y-axis case, I'd recommend washers using a dy. Use the same for about the line x = -1.

For around the line y=1, I'd recommend shells using a dy.

Can you see why I picked these?

Let's take a look at the first two parts of your question. Generally it is better to ask a single question in a thread.
Rattanjeet said:
Intersections are (0,0), (1,1) and (2,0)
These are correct.
Rattanjeet said:
And my working of this question is as follows:

V=2∏∫[c-d] y g(y) dy
Your setup in the 2nd line above is incorrect, and will give you the negative of the volume. For the length of the shell, you want xparabola - xline. You have it the other way around, which produces a negative value.

In the shell method you are taking thin horizontal strips that extend from the line x = y to the parabola x = 2 - y2. The length of a strip is 2 - y2 - y. The width of each strip is Δy, a small subinterval in the interval [0, 1] on the y-axis.

ΔV, the volume of a typical volume element, is given by ΔV ≈ 2##\pi## [radius] * [length of strip] * Δy

This problem could also be done using washers, but you would need two integrals.
Rattanjeet said:

This is wrong as well. The typical volume element here is
ΔV ≈ ##\pi## [xouter2 - xinner2] * Δy
= ##\pi## [(2 - y2)2 - y2]Δy

You don't need two integrals.

Thanks Mark,

But I have to ask you how to remove a thread that I posted just today. To this very question I got another reply saying that my answer was correct and I should put it on thread. I did that. Since the answer was wrong, I would like to withdraw it so that others who read it are not misled.

Please guide.

Thanks once again.
Rattanjeet

You have a total of 4 posts, and they're all in this thread. I deleted one of your posts, as it seemed to be a duplicate of what is already in this thread.

I should also mention that it's really important to draw a sketch of the region you're working with, and another sketch of the solid you get by revolving the region. It is very difficult to get these problems right if you don't have a reasonably good picture.

Related to Use - disks, washers or shells? integrate volume of revolving solids

1. How do I determine whether to use disks, washers, or shells to find the volume of a revolving solid?

The choice between using disks, washers, or shells depends on the shape of the solid and the axis of revolution. Disks are used when the solid is rotated around an axis perpendicular to the base. Washers are used when the solid is rotated around an axis parallel to the base. Shells are used when the solid is rotated around a vertical axis.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid using disks, washers, or shells?

The formula for finding the volume using disks is V = π∫(r(x))^2dx, where r(x) is the radius of the disk at a given x-value. For washers, the formula is V = π∫(R(x))^2-(r(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the outer radius and r(x) is the inner radius. For shells, the formula is V = 2π∫x(h(x)) dx, where h(x) is the height of the shell at a given x-value.

3. Can I use any method to find the volume of a solid, or are there limitations?

While disks, washers, and shells are commonly used methods, there are limitations. These methods only work for solids with circular cross-sections. For irregular shapes, other methods such as cross-sectional area or slicing can be used to find the volume.

4. Do I need to know calculus to use disks, washers, or shells to find the volume of a solid?

Yes, calculus is necessary for finding the volume using disks, washers, or shells. These methods involve integration, which is a key concept in calculus. However, there are simpler methods such as using known formulas for common shapes like cylinders or cones that do not require calculus.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the volume of a solid using disks, washers, or shells?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the volume of a solid using disks, washers, or shells. For example, these methods can be used to calculate the volume of containers, such as barrels or tanks, or to find the volume of 3D objects in engineering and architecture. They are also useful in physics and chemistry for calculating the volume of 3D objects like spheres or cylinders.