Use differentials to estimate the change in tension of yo-yo string

In summary: Then use your formula dT = ∂T/∂r*Δr + ∂T/∂R*ΔR to estimate the change in tension. In summary, the tension in the yo-yo string can be estimated using differentials. By evaluating the partials at specific values and using the formula dT = ∂T/∂r*Δr + ∂T/∂R*ΔR, we can estimate the change in tension when R and r are increased.
bubbers
. Homework Statement

The tension T in the string of the yo-yo is given by:

T=(mgR)/(2r^2+R^2)

where m is the mass of the yo-yo and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Use differentials to estimate the change in tension if R is increased from 3cm to 3.1cm and r is increased from 0.7cm to 0.8cm. Does the tension increase or decrease?

Homework Equations

I assume you'd need

dT=∂T/∂r*dr + ∂T/∂R*dR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure how to approach this problem. My guess is that you need to find the partials, and then use the values to which r and R increase somehow, maybe as dr and dR values...but I'm not sure how to go about that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
bubbers said:
. Homework Statement

The tension T in the string of the yo-yo is given by:

T=(mgR)/(2r^2+R^2)

where m is the mass of the yo-yo and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Use differentials to estimate the change in tension if R is increased from 3cm to 3.1cm and r is increased from 0.7cm to 0.8cm. Does the tension increase or decrease?

Homework Equations

I assume you'd need

dT=∂T/∂r*dr + ∂T/∂R*dR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure how to approach this problem. My guess is that you need to find the partials, and then use the values to which r and R increase somehow, maybe as dr and dR values...but I'm not sure how to go about that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

This is a good start. In place of dr and dR, approximate them with Δr = .1 (cm) and ΔR = .1 (cm). Evaluate your two partials using r = .7 cm and R = 3 cm.

Related to Use differentials to estimate the change in tension of yo-yo string

What is a differential?

A differential is a mathematical tool used to approximate the change in a function over a small interval. It is represented by the symbol "dx" and is often used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change.

How do differentials apply to estimating changes in tension of yo-yo string?

In this case, we can use differentials to approximate the change in tension of a yo-yo string by considering the rate of change of the string's length and its radius. By using the formula for the circumference of a circle, we can calculate the change in length of the string and use it to estimate the change in tension.

What factors affect the accuracy of using differentials to estimate changes in tension?

The accuracy of using differentials to estimate changes in tension depends on the precision of the measurements of the length and radius of the yo-yo string. The smaller the interval used in the calculation, the more accurate the estimate will be. Additionally, any external factors such as air resistance or friction can also affect the accuracy of the estimate.

Can differentials be used to estimate the change in tension of any type of string?

Yes, differentials can be used to estimate the change in tension of any type of string as long as we have the necessary information about its length and radius. However, the formula used may vary depending on the shape of the string, such as a circular or a straight string.

Are there any limitations to using differentials to estimate changes in tension?

Yes, using differentials to estimate changes in tension is based on the assumption that the string is under uniform tension. If the tension is not constant or varies significantly, the estimate may not be accurate. Additionally, this method may not work for strings that are highly elastic or have a non-linear relationship between length and tension.