Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove

In summary, the use of Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities can be used to prove that 0<(1+1/n)^n<3. This can be done by showing that the series \sum ^{n}_{k=0} (n!/(n-k)! k!) a^{n-k}b^{k} is less than or equal to the series \sum \frac{1}{k!} which approaches e as n goes to infinity. This can also be seen by comparing the series to the series 1+1+1/2+1/(2*2)+1/(2*2*2)+... which sums to 3.
charmedbeauty
Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove!

Homework Statement

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove [itex]

0<(1+1/n)^n<3 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by..[itex]
\sum ^{n}_{k=0} (n!/(n-k)! k!) a^{n-k}b^{k}[/itex]

[itex]= n!/(n-k)!k! (1)^{n-k} (1/n)^{k} [/itex] for [itex]n \in Z^{+} [/itex]

so...

[itex] 1^{n-k} =1 [/itex](since [itex] 1^{l} =1[/itex] for any [itex] l \in R [/itex])

and...

([itex](1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] (Since [itex] 1/n \leq1[/itex] for any [itex] n \in Z^{+} [/itex], so from reasoning above [itex] (1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] and any [itex] x \in R [/itex] such that [itex] 0<x\leq1[/itex] then any power [itex]k\geq0 [/itex] of [itex]x[/itex] is going to be [itex]\leq 1[/itex])

But I really don't understand where to go from here do try exhaustion of cases for [itex] n, k [/itex] but that does not seem appropriate since [itex]n,k[/itex] have no boundaries other than[itex] \geq0[/itex] respectively.

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It is easy to prove that (1+1/n)n approaches e as n goes to infinity using L'Hôpital's rule.
If you have to do it with binomial expansion, it's more tricky.
What are "appropriate inequalities" ? I assume you've covered some in class/book ?

Here's a proof. It should be obvious that [itex]\binom {n} {k} \leq \frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] thus the series you have is not greater than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!} = e[/itex]. This comes from Taylor series of ex when x = 1. I don't know how to prove it without them, though.

hamsterman said:
It is easy to prove that (1+1/n)n approaches e as n goes to infinity using L'Hôpital's rule.
If you have to do it with binomial expansion, it's more tricky.
What are "appropriate inequalities" ? I assume you've covered some in class/book ?

Here's a proof. It should be obvious that [itex]\binom {n} {k} \leq \frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] thus the series you have is not greater than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!} = e[/itex]. This comes from Taylor series of ex when x = 1. I don't know how to prove it without them, though.

I don't think I have covered taylor series yet, maybe I better look into that. Thanks!

charmedbeauty said:
I don't think I have covered taylor series yet, maybe I better look into that. Thanks!

I think the comparison they want you to make is that 1+1+1/2!+1/3!+1/4!+... <= 1+1+1/2+1/(2*2)+1/(2*2*2)+...

Related to Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove

What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a power. It is written as (a + b)^n = Σ(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is a positive integer, a and b are any real numbers, and (n choose k) represents the binomial coefficient.

How is the Binomial Theorem used?

The Binomial Theorem is used to find the coefficients of a binomial expansion, which can then be used to simplify and solve various mathematical problems. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes.

What are appropriate inequalities in relation to the Binomial Theorem?

Appropriate inequalities in relation to the Binomial Theorem are any inequalities that satisfy the conditions of the theorem. These include the inequality a > 0, which ensures that the terms in the expansion are in the correct order, and the inequality b ≥ 0, which ensures that the terms are non-negative.

How can the Binomial Theorem be used to prove mathematical statements?

The Binomial Theorem can be used to prove mathematical statements by plugging in specific values for a and b, and then comparing the resulting expression to the statement being proved. If the two are equal, then the statement is true. This method is often used in algebraic proofs and number theory.

Can the Binomial Theorem be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem has applications in various areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to model and solve problems related to growth, decay, and probability. It is also used in fields such as genetics and population dynamics to predict outcomes and make calculations.