US undergrad applying for Cambridge Math Part III

In summary, the student should take classes in differential geometry, stochastic process, general relativity, and elementary quantum field in order to improve their chances of admission to Cambridge Maths Part III.
Ivor Chen
Hello all,

I'm currently planning to apply to Cambridge Math Part III. My questions:

(1) What should I do to improve my chance to be admitted? (Basic information attached below)
(2) How helpful would this program be for application to PhD programs? (I'm aiming for top US programs, you know, Princeton, Harvard, etc.)
(3) Is it a good idea to graduate in three years and go to Cambridge before applying for PhD programs?

Basic Information:
UC Berkeley sophomore: physics and pure math double major
Overall GPA: 3.95
Math GPA: 4.00 (with multiple A+, but our school count A+ as 4.00)
Physics GPA: 4.00 (with almost all A+)

Brief list of relevant courses I have taken so far:
(1) Math: (Apart from lower-division undergraduate classes) two classes in analysis (real and complex), one in linear algebra, two in abstract algebra, one in topology (graduate), one in general algebraic structures (graduate), one in probability
(2) Physics: (Apart from lower-division undergraduate classes) two in classical mechanics (one of them graduate class), three in quantum mechanics (actually skipped one of them by convincing the dean, and another is a graduate class), one in thermodynamics, two in electrodynamics (one of them graduate class)

Classes that I would take before the end of junior year: another class in topology, a class in differential geometry, a class in stochastic process, a class in general relativity, a class in elementary quantum field.

I know it's a bit long for one single thread, but I really really want to assess my chance of being admitted. I really love Cambridge, since I have visited there as a tourist. And needless to say, I am extremely dedicated to studying theoretical physics.

(In advance) Thank you all for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken a look at the Cambridge Maths web site? Part III is for those who do well in Parts IA, IB, and II. Look over the courses. See how the exams look -- they're all there. They will be happiest with you if they can see that you've covered all the material they expect their undergrads to have covered, and that you've done well on the relevant exams.

Related to US undergrad applying for Cambridge Math Part III

1. What is Cambridge Math Part III?

Cambridge Math Part III is a one-year master's program in mathematics offered by the University of Cambridge. It is considered one of the most prestigious and rigorous programs in the world, and is designed for top-performing undergraduate students in mathematics.

2. Can US undergraduates apply for Cambridge Math Part III?

Yes, US undergraduates are eligible to apply for Cambridge Math Part III. However, the program is highly competitive and only a small number of international students are accepted each year.

3. What are the requirements for applying to Cambridge Math Part III as a US undergraduate?

The requirements for applying to Cambridge Math Part III as a US undergraduate include a strong background in mathematics, a bachelor's degree in a related field (or equivalent), and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE or SAT.

4. How does the application process for Cambridge Math Part III differ for US undergraduates compared to UK students?

The application process for Cambridge Math Part III is the same for both US and UK students. However, US students may need to provide additional materials such as transcripts and standardized test scores to demonstrate their academic qualifications.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for US undergraduates applying to Cambridge Math Part III?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid available for US undergraduates applying to Cambridge Math Part III. These include the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, which covers full tuition and living expenses, as well as other scholarships and grants offered by the university and external organizations.