Urgent: Prove Smoothness of f(x) with Infinite Derivatives

In summary, Chickendude proved that the function f is smooth at all points except for at x=0 where it has a limit of 0.
ARozanski

Homework Statement

[tex] f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}e^{-x^{-2}},& \mbox{ if } x!=0 \\ 0, \mbox{ if } x=0 \end{array}\right [/tex]
Prove the smoothness of f(x) - as in - prove it has infinite derivatives.
I was asked this question in a calculas class i have in university...It just so happens to be that this question was asked on this site last year =>
LINK: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=135116

The Attempt at a Solution

Now - looking at what the person said last year - they got to what i also got to - which was that after a few derivatives you get - [tex]\frac{c}{x^n}[/tex] where is c is some number

I did not however understand why they had to get to the point where they wanted to multiply the limit of the derivatives with the actual function f(x).

Please can someone point me in the right direction into solving this...i need it done by sunday - any help well be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It is pretty obvious that the function is smooth whenever [tex]x \neq 0 [/tex]

At x=0, we need to prove that [tex]f(0) = \lim_{x\to 0}f(x)[/tex] by the definition of smoothness

f(0)=0 by the def of f(x)

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}e^{-x^{-2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\to 0}(1/e)^{\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\to \infty}(1/e)^{x^2}[/tex]

since 1/e < 0, this limit is comparable to a geometric series which approaches 0
so the limit is 0, finishing the proof

chickendude said:
since 1/e < 0, this limit is comparable to a geometric series which approaches 0
so the limit is 0, finishing the proof
Well, that proves the first derivative exists only (and not even that the derivative is continuous). He wants to prove that all the higher order derivatives of f exist and are continuous.

All the higher derivatives of f is the sum of terms of the form [tex]\frac{c}{x^n}[/tex]f(x) (prove this by induction!). Then just prove that this term goes to zero as x goes to zero, and so all nth derivatives goes to zero.

Last edited:
To prove that [tex]\frac{c}{x^n}[/tex]f(x) goes to zero as x goes to zero, use the substitution y= 1/x. Then use L'Hopital's rule n times.

It turns out that induction had to be used 3 times to finish the proof (at least for me). The most important of the 3 inductions is to prove that if the nth derivative of f at x=0 is 0, then so is the (n+1)th derivative of f at x=0. This inductive step proves 2 things: that the (n+1)th derivative exists, and that the nth derivative is continuous. Chickendude already demonstrated the case n=1. Carry out the inductive step and that will prove the smoothness of f.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all your help...I have finished the project and it looks alright.

Related to Urgent: Prove Smoothness of f(x) with Infinite Derivatives

What is the definition of smoothness?

Smoothness refers to the property of a function being continuous and having well-defined derivatives of all orders. A smooth function is one that is infinitely differentiable, meaning that it has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain.

Why is it important to prove that a function is smooth?

Proving that a function is smooth is important because it demonstrates that the function is well-behaved and can be easily manipulated using mathematical operations. Smooth functions often have simpler and more elegant solutions to problems, making them useful in various fields of mathematics and science.

What is the process for proving that a function is smooth?

The process for proving that a function is smooth involves showing that the function is continuous and has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the definition of a derivative, the limit definition of a derivative, or mathematical induction.

Can a function be smooth if it has a discontinuity?

No, a function cannot be smooth if it has a discontinuity. A discontinuity means that the function is not continuous, which is a key requirement for smoothness. In order for a function to be smooth, it must be continuous and have derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain.

What are the practical applications of proving that a function is smooth?

Proving that a function is smooth has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Smooth functions can help model and solve real-world problems, such as predicting the behavior of physical systems, optimizing designs, and analyzing economic trends.