Uranium-235 fission fragment pairs

• Thread starter Ultimadark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fission
In summary, The conversation involves a person working on a report and trying to find the answer to a question about uranium-235 fission. The question is about the other fission fragment when one of the fragments is cesium-137. The person suggests technetium-99 as a possible answer but is unsure. They also mention the presence of free neutrons in fission reactions.
Ultimadark
Hello

I'm working on a report now, and I'm trying to find an answer to the following question (looked for 45 mins on the internet but no clue as to where to find it)

If Uranium-235 undergoes fission and one of the fragments is Cesium-137, which isotope is the other fission fragment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming there are no other products - how many protons and neutrons are in what is left?

99, so I was thinking that maybe it was Technetium-99, but is there a way to be sure? I thought that all fissions had to result in some free neutrons as well as the larger fragments.

Ultimadark said:
99, so I was thinking that maybe it was Technetium-99, but is there a way to be sure? I thought that all fissions had to result in some free neutrons as well as the larger fragments.
In general there will be a few neutrons among the fission fragments - that is why there is a chain reaction.

Related to Uranium-235 fission fragment pairs

1. What is Uranium-235 fission?

Uranium-235 fission is a process in which a Uranium-235 atom splits into two smaller atoms, known as fission fragments, releasing a significant amount of energy.

2. How are fission fragment pairs produced?

Fission fragment pairs are produced through the process of nuclear fission, in which a Uranium-235 atom is bombarded with a neutron, causing it to split into two smaller atoms and release additional neutrons.

3. What is the significance of fission fragment pairs?

Fission fragment pairs are significant because they release a large amount of energy, which can be harnessed for various purposes, such as electricity generation.

4. What are the properties of fission fragment pairs?

Fission fragment pairs have high kinetic energy and are radioactive, meaning they continue to decay and release energy over time.

5. How are fission fragment pairs used in nuclear reactors?

In nuclear reactors, fission fragment pairs are used to sustain a chain reaction, in which the released neutrons collide with other Uranium-235 atoms, causing them to split and release more energy. This energy is then used to heat water and produce steam, which in turn drives turbines to generate electricity.