Questions about activation energy for fission

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fission and the activation energy required for it to occur. The speaker mentions finding a list of activation energy for different isotopes of Uranium and shares calculations using data from Wikipedia to determine if fission is possible. They also inquire about the difficulty of fission for even and odd number nuclei. The expert summarizer notes that finding activation energy numbers for less practical isotopes can be challenging due to high energy requirements and potential measurement errors.
dotdkay
Hi,
I hope someone can help me with these question I have about fission?
Where can I find a list of what the activation energy is between the normal state of the nucleus and the state where it splits. In my book it says the activation energy for U-235 is 5.3 MeV(The energy required to fission U-235). And to see if a fission will occur when U-235 absorbs a neutron and converts to U-236 I’m given the following formula:

Q=-(mU-236 - mU-235 - mneutron)*931,5MeV/u

And with numbers from wikipedia( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_uranium ) I put in the numbers:

Q=-(236.045568u - 235.0439299u - 1.0086649156u) * 931.5 MeV/u = 6.54548 MeV

And since 6.54548 MeV is greater than the required activation energy for U-235 on 5.3 MeV fission is possible. But where can I find the activation energy for other isotopes?
The only other activation energy number mentioned in my book is for U-238 which is 5.5 MeV, and doing the same calculation as before with the numbers from wikipedia I get the following:

Q=-(239.0542933u - 238.05078u - 1.0086649156u) * 931.5 MeV/u = 4.80637 MeV

Which is lower than the required 5.5 MeV, and therefor fission is not possible with a neutron. But I’ll like to do calculate on other isotopes of Uranium.

Why is it hard to fission even number nucleus, like U-234 and U-238, when it’s easier to fission odd number nucleus, like U-233 and U-235?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uranium has 92 protons, so odd mass numbers are odd neutron numbers. Even numbers are bound more tightly (pair term), so going from odd to even can often result in an excited state which can then fission.

Finding these numbers for isotopes that are not easily fissile and have no practical application can be difficult - the energy required might be very large and/or poorly measured.

Related to Questions about activation energy for fission

1. What is activation energy for fission?

Activation energy for fission is the minimum amount of energy required to initiate a nuclear fission reaction. It is the energy needed to overcome the repulsive forces between the positively charged nuclei in order for them to split apart.

2. How is activation energy for fission calculated?

The activation energy for fission is calculated by measuring the difference in mass between the original nucleus and the resulting fragments, and converting that mass difference into energy using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc2.

3. Why is activation energy for fission important?

Activation energy for fission is important because it determines the stability of a nucleus and whether or not a nuclear reaction will occur. It also plays a crucial role in controlling the rate of a reaction.

4. How does activation energy for fission differ from that of fusion?

The main difference between the activation energy for fission and fusion is the type of reaction. Fission involves splitting apart heavy nuclei, while fusion involves combining light nuclei. The activation energy for fusion is generally much higher than for fission.

5. Can activation energy for fission be changed or controlled?

Yes, the activation energy for fission can be changed or controlled through various methods. For example, by introducing a neutron to the nucleus, the activation energy can be lowered, allowing for a nuclear reaction to occur. Control rods in nuclear reactors are also used to regulate the activation energy and maintain a stable reaction.