Upstream and Downstream one dimensional motion

In summary, the problem involves a fisherman traveling upstream on a river at a constant speed, with the water flowing at a lower constant speed. After traveling 1.85 km upstream, his ice chest falls out and he notices after another 15 minutes. He then turns around and heads back downstream, traveling at the same speed relative to the water. The problem asks for the speed of the river, with two different methods of solving it presented. In the first method, the Earth is used as a reference frame, while the second method uses the water as the reference frame.
ashleyymariie

Homework Statement

A fisherman sets out upstream on a river. His small boat, powered by an outboard motor, travels at a constant speed v in still water. The water flows at a lower constant speed vw. The fisherman has traveled upstream for 1.85 km when his ice chest falls out of the boat. He notices that the chest is missing only after he has gone upstream for another 15 minutes. At that point, he turns around and heads back downstream, all the time traveling at the same speed relative to the water. He catches up with the floating ice chest just as he returns to his starting point. How fast is the river flowing? Solve this problem in two ways.
(a) First, use the Earth as a reference frame. With respect to the Earth, the boat travels upstream at speed v − vw and downstream at v + vw.

(b) A second much simpler and more elegant solution is obtained by using the water as the reference frame. This approach has important applications in many more complicated problems, such as calculating the motion of rockets and satellites and analyzing the scattering of subatomic particles from massive targets.

2. The attempt at a solution

First i set the displacement of the the fisherman while moving upstream equal to the displacement downstream.

1850+15(v-v(w))=(v+v(w))t(down)

But I am stuck once i get here because i do not know how long it takes him to get back down the river.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashleyymariie said:

Homework Statement

A fisherman sets out upstream on a river. His small boat, powered by an outboard motor, travels at a constant speed v in still water. The water flows at a lower constant speed vw. The fisherman has traveled upstream for 1.85 km when his ice chest falls out of the boat. He notices that the chest is missing only after he has gone upstream for another 15 minutes. At that point, he turns around and heads back downstream, all the time traveling at the same speed relative to the water. He catches up with the floating ice chest just as he returns to his starting point. How fast is the river flowing? Solve this problem in two ways.
(a) First, use the Earth as a reference frame. With respect to the Earth, the boat travels upstream at speed v − vw and downstream at v + vw.

(b) A second much simpler and more elegant solution is obtained by using the water as the reference frame. This approach has important applications in many more complicated problems, such as calculating the motion of rockets and satellites and analyzing the scattering of subatomic particles from massive targets.

2. The attempt at a solution

First i set the displacement of the the fisherman while moving upstream equal to the displacement downstream.

1850+15(v-v(w))=(v+v(w))t(down)

But I am stuck once i get here because i do not know how long it takes him to get back down the river.

Try solving a similar question with just numbers to see if you can get a feel for the question. [It would be unfortunate if you just happened to guess the real answer].

EG: suppose the boat travels at 20 kph through the water, and the water flows at 6 kph, and the ice chest fell out 3.5 km up the river. [note! I don't expect he will "catch" the ice chest at the point where he set out in this case]

Related to Upstream and Downstream one dimensional motion

1. What is meant by upstream and downstream one dimensional motion?

Upstream and downstream one dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line in a fluid medium, such as a river or stream. Upstream motion is when the object moves against the direction of the current, while downstream motion is when the object moves with the direction of the current.

2. How is the direction of motion determined in upstream and downstream one dimensional motion?

The direction of motion in upstream and downstream one dimensional motion is determined by the relative velocity of the object and the fluid medium. If the object's velocity is greater than the fluid's velocity, it will move upstream. If the object's velocity is less than the fluid's velocity, it will move downstream.

3. What factors affect the speed of an object in upstream and downstream one dimensional motion?

The speed of an object in upstream and downstream one dimensional motion is affected by the velocity of the fluid medium, the mass of the object, and the shape and size of the object. The direction and strength of the current also play a role in determining the speed of the object.

4. Can an object have both upstream and downstream motion at the same time?

No, an object can only have either upstream or downstream motion at any given time, as the direction of motion is determined by the relative velocity between the object and the fluid medium. However, an object can change its direction of motion from upstream to downstream or vice versa.

5. How is the motion of an object affected by the shape and size of the object in upstream and downstream motion?

The shape and size of an object can affect its velocity and the direction of its motion in upstream and downstream one dimensional motion. Objects with larger surface areas may experience more resistance from the fluid, causing them to move slower. Additionally, objects with streamlined shapes may experience less resistance and can move faster in the fluid.