How Fast is the River Flowing in the Fisherman's Problem?

The chest is also motionless relative to the water, as it is simply floating along with the current. Therefore, the river's velocity must be equal to the boat's speed v. In summary, the fisherman's boat travels at a constant speed v in still water while the river flows at a lower constant speed vw. When the boat is traveling upstream, its speed relative to the water reference frame is v + vw and when traveling downstream, its velocity relative to the water reference frame is v - vw. However, the velocity of the boat in the water's frame of reference is always v. The chest remains motionless relative to the water as it floats along with the current. Therefore, the river's velocity must be equal to the boat
PPonte
Problem:
A fisherman sets out upstream from Metaline Falls on the
Pend Oreille River in northwestern Washington State. His
small boat, powered by an outboard motor, travels at a
constant speed v in still water. The water flows at a lower
constant speed vw. He has traveled upstream for 2.00 km
when his ice chest falls out of the boat. He notices that
the chest is missing only after he has gone upstream for
another 15.0 minutes. At that point he turns around and
heads back downstream, all the time traveling at the same
speed relative to the water. He catches up with the floating
ice chest just as it is about to go over the falls at his
starting point. How fast is the river flowing? Solve this
problem in two ways. (a) First, use the Earth as a reference
frame. With respect to the Earth, the boat travels upstream
at speed v - vw and downstream at v + vw. (b) A
second much simpler and more elegant solution is obtained
by using the water as the reference frame. This approach
has important applications in many more complicated
problems; examples are calculating the motion of
rockets and satellites and analyzing the scattering of subatomic
particles from massive targets.​

I had no problem solving (a), my doubts arise when solving (b).

I desire to know if the following considerations for (b) are right:
  • When the boat is traveling upstream his speed relative to the water reference frame is v + vw or simply v?
  • When the boat is traveling downstream his velocity relative to the water reference frame is v - vw or simply v?
  • The chest is motionless relative to the water reference frame.

Thanks in advance for your help. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PPonte said:
I desire to know if the following considerations for (b) are right:
  • When the boat is traveling upstream his speed relative to the water reference frame is v + vw or simply v?
  • When the boat is traveling downstream his velocity relative to the water reference frame is v - vw or simply v?
  • The chest is motionless relative to the water reference frame.
Hi there PPonte,

I've not been on the forums for a while, but it's nice to 'speak' to you again. All your considerations seem valid to me.

Edit: My apologies PPonte, I didn't see that your first two statements were actually questions. As SGT says, the velocity of the boat in the water's frame of reference is always v.

Last edited:
The velocity of the boat relative to the water is v, as is stated in the problem, no matter if the boat is traveling up or downstream.

Related to How Fast is the River Flowing in the Fisherman's Problem?

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object with respect to another object. It is the movement of one object in relation to another object, and it can be described using velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the motion of one object in relation to another object, while absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. In other words, relative motion is dependent on the observer's perspective, while absolute motion is independent of any observer.

3. What factors affect relative motion?

The main factors that affect relative motion are the velocity and direction of the objects in relation to each other. Other factors that may play a role include the mass, size, and shape of the objects, as well as any external forces acting on them.

4. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This gives the velocity of one object in relation to the other. It is important to note that the direction of motion also needs to be taken into account when calculating relative velocity.

5. What is the significance of relative motion in everyday life?

Relative motion plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in relation to each other. It is important in fields such as navigation, transportation, and sports. For example, the relative motion of a vehicle with respect to its surroundings is crucial for safe and efficient driving.