Is Upgrading to a Wider Conveyor Belt Worth the Investment?

In summary: Assuming 30,000 RPM on the motor, the product requires kinetic energy of:E = ( 30,000 * 1kg ) + ( 9.8 * 4.4 m ) = 97.6 kg
Volantis92
Hey guys,

some insight to the following problem I have here would be helpful.
I need to see if a conveyor is worth upgraded (i.e. see what the output Tonne/per hour is) from a belt 745mm wide, idler pulley 800mm wide... to a 800mm belt and 850mm wide idler pulley.
Lets assume the length of the conveyor is 17m

I have a conveyor with 3 idlers on an angle of 45 deg, and assuming an angle of repose of 25 deg.
currently there is a 18KW motor on there, and let's assume the idler pulley barrel is 300mm. I want to upgrade to a 30KW motor.

How do I go about working out the max possible T p/hr?

i assume i need the speed of the motor, get velocity. Find the volume of the material over the conveyor length?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
The rate of material mass flow will be determined by height difference? and conveyor velocity.

Material falling onto the conveyor must be accelerated to the conveyor velocity. KE = ½∙m∙v²

The change in height will require (or release) potential energy proportional to; PE = m∙g∙h

Thanks for that mate,

So assuming I have incline angle of 15 deg. my equation would be:
T p/hr = 3.6 * (cross sectional area of trough) * (belt speed m/s) * (material density) * Cos(15)?

Only problem I have is getting an accurate calc for the cross sectional area of the trough.
How would I do that with idler trough angle of 45 deg
Belt 745 mm
angle of repose for material = 25 deg

cheers

You are confusing yourself by your fixation on the geometry of the conveyor and the density of the material.
Volantis92 said:
So assuming I have incline angle of 15 deg. my equation would be:
T p/hr = 3.6 * (cross sectional area of trough) * (belt speed m/s) * (material density) * Cos(15)?
What is the coefficient 3.6 ?
Where is the acceleration g = 9.8 needed to work out the change in potential energy?

Product has a change of height, the potential energy must be provided. That height change is a fixed critical parameter.
Product must be accelerated to belt speed, that kinetic energy is not recovered. Belt speed is a critical variable.

Length = 17 m. Incline = 15 deg.
Height change, h = 17 * Sin( 15 ) = 4.4 m.

Material flow of 1 kg will require energy, E = KE + PE.
KE = 1/2 * 1kg * v2
PE = 1kg * 9.8 * h
E per kg = ( 1/2 * v2 ) + ( 9.8 * h )

But belt speed, v, is unknown, we still need to know motor RPM.

Related to Is Upgrading to a Wider Conveyor Belt Worth the Investment?

1. What are the benefits of upgrading a conveyor system?

Upgrading a conveyor system can provide numerous benefits, such as increased efficiency and productivity, better product handling and transport, reduced maintenance and downtime, and improved safety for workers.

2. How do I determine if my conveyor system needs an upgrade?

There are a few factors to consider when determining if your conveyor system needs an upgrade, such as the age and condition of the system, any recent changes in production demands, and any ongoing issues or inefficiencies. A thorough inspection and evaluation by a professional can also help identify areas for improvement.

3. What are the most common types of upgrades for a conveyor system?

Common upgrades for conveyor systems include replacing worn or outdated components, adding automation and control systems, implementing new technologies such as sensors and tracking systems, and increasing the capacity or speed of the system.

4. How much does it cost to upgrade a conveyor system?

The cost of upgrading a conveyor system can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the system, the type of upgrades being implemented, and the labor and materials required. It is best to consult with a professional and get a detailed quote for your specific needs.

5. How long does it take to complete an upgrade for a conveyor system?

The timeline for completing an upgrade for a conveyor system can also vary depending on the scope of the project. Simple upgrades such as replacing components may only take a few days, while more complex upgrades may take several weeks or even months. It is important to discuss timelines with a professional and plan accordingly to minimize disruptions to production.