Unwanted constants after integration

In summary, the problem arises from not specifying the integration boundaries, which results in an extra constant term. This can be resolved by either defining a new constant or by specifying the integration boundaries.
Cyosis
Homework Helper
While integrating a rational function I stumbled upon the following problem (In the calculation of the integral the substitution [tex]u=x+1, du=d(x+1)=dx[/tex] was used).

[tex]
\begin{align}
\int \frac{x^2}{(1+x)^2}\,dx &= \int \frac{(u-1)^2}{u^2}\,du
\\
&= \int du+\int \frac{du}{u^2}\ -2 \int \frac{du}{u}\
\\
&= u-\frac{1}{u}- 2 \log(u)
\\
&=1+x - \frac{1}{1+x}-2 \log(1+x)
\end{align}
[/tex]

The problem now is that if I substitute x back into the integral during step (2) I get [tex]x - \frac{1}{1+x}-2 \log(1+x)[/tex].

Obviously taking the derivative of both primitives yields the same integrand.

My problem with this is that instead of getting an unknown constant I get this unwanted extra 1. Secondly if I plug this integral into mathematica it gives the result without the constant 1.

So my question is why do I get different functions without having specified the integration constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't specify the integration boundaries, so you will get an integration constant. So instead of (3), you get u - 1/u - 2 log(u) + C and instead of (4) you get 1 + x - 1/(1 + x) - 2 log(1 + x) + C.

The extra 1 you have can simply be absorbed in C, i.e. define C' = C - 1 or something like that.

Once you specify the integration boundaries (x from a to b) the extra constant term will be absorbed by the change of boundaries in the substitution (i.e. the u-integral will run from a + 1 to b + 1).

Related to Unwanted constants after integration

1. What are unwanted constants after integration?

Unwanted constants after integration refer to the arbitrary constants that appear in the solution of an indefinite integral. These constants arise because the derivative of a constant is always zero, so they do not affect the value of the integral.

2. Why do unwanted constants appear after integration?

Unwanted constants appear after integration because indefinite integrals are not unique. This means that there are infinitely many functions that have the same derivative, and therefore, the same indefinite integral. The arbitrary constants represent the different possible functions that could have been integrated.

3. How do I get rid of unwanted constants after integration?

To get rid of unwanted constants after integration, you can use initial conditions or boundary conditions to determine the specific values of the constants. These conditions can be given in the problem or can be determined by additional information about the function or its behavior.

4. Can unwanted constants affect the accuracy of the integral?

No, unwanted constants do not affect the accuracy of the integral. They only affect the general solution of the indefinite integral. When evaluating a definite integral, these constants will cancel out, so they do not impact the final numerical result.

5. Are there any cases where unwanted constants are useful?

Yes, unwanted constants can be useful in some cases. For example, when solving differential equations, the arbitrary constants can represent the constants of integration that are needed to find the particular solution. These constants can also be used to find the general solution, which can be helpful in understanding the behavior of the function.