Unusual Discovery in the Woods: An Old Farm Machine

In summary, an expert discovered an old farm machinery piece by a stone wall and thought it was interesting. It is now ten or fifteen feet wide and would have been nearly impossible to get into the forest and fit between the trees, unless dropped by a helicopter. The machinery was likely left there decades ago and the forest grew up around it.
BicycleTree
Today I was walking out in the woods. In many places in the woods around here you can find old stone walls going between the trees. Today by one of these stone walls I found a piece of farm machinery. It was heavily rusted and the rubber tires were flaking. It was ten or fifteen feet wide and would have been nearly impossible to get into the forest and fit between the trees, unless dropped by a helicopter. It must have been left there decades ago and the forest grew up around it.

I think it's an automatic seeder.

Physics news on Phys.org
I love old finds like that...you must be on the east coast{stone walls}? On a trip to the cape, I ran across some walls, so I followed them and found all kinds of neat stuff, including a few graves.

Yep, east coast. Never found any graves, but I've found rusted pots and glass bottles, house foundations and a pile of cement. All out in the forest. Farm machinery though... I wonder how old that thing is. How long does it take rubber to start flaking?

We have a large, pre-55 Ford truck coming down the creek, one part at a time - I know its at least that old. I have one leaf spring, both license plates, two tie rods, U bolts, a spark plug, and a few other parts here and there. I hope to eventually collect the entire truck and put it back together. :biggrin:

For the longest time I couldn't figure out where these things were coming from. I followed the creek to the headwaters and never saw a thing. It turned out that the truck frame was used as the base of a private car bridge. Each year a few parts would fall off and make it down the creek to our place.

MIH and the LA crowd may be interested in hiking to the abandoned Allison Gold Mine, in the San Bernadino Mountains. When I last hiked up there many years ago, the near turn of the century mining equipment was still lying around where it was left back in the twenties or thirties. It was cheaper to leave it there, when the mine closed.

BicycleTree said:
Yep, east coast. Never found any graves, but I've found rusted pots and glass bottles, house foundations and a pile of cement. All out in the forest. Farm machinery though... I wonder how old that thing is. How long does it take rubber to start flaking?
It's a good thing you clarified which coast...because I was thinking maybe you lived near someone else (with rotting deers and tree stumps, and now pieces of a truck floating down the creek). :rolleyes:

The equipment could have ended up like that a few different ways -- I don't think it happened during the Farm Aid Concert, because that seems too recent. Also, I don't think it was from the Championship Tractor Pull during the National Farm Machinery Show either. Maybe it was a result of old George Yokum's going away party as manager of Acme Farm Machinery--it was in the papers as being "a little too jubilant." :-p

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It turned out that the truck frame was used as the base of a private car bridge. Each year a few parts would fall off and make it down the creek to our place.
Any day now a whole new car should come floating into your arms. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Any day now a whole new car should come floating into your arms. :biggrin:

:biggrin: No, I discovered the truck when hit with a huge blast wave one day. Seriously! A couple of jokers used about ten sticks of dynamite to blast the frame free from its concrete base. They just about took out all of the windows within a mile radius as well. :smile: It about scared me to death. I thought the local NG ammo depot had gone up.

Ivan Seeking said:
A couple of jokers used about ten sticks of dynamite to blast the frame free from its concrete base.
Idiots! Everybody knows that you only use 8 if you just want to loosen it.

Danger said:
Idiots! Everybody knows that you only use 8 if you just want to loosen it.
So I take it you weren't responsible...well maybe not for this explosion... :rolleyes:

SOS2008 said:
So I take it you weren't responsible...well maybe not for this explosion... :rolleyes:
No, not this one. (Do you remember Tunguska?)

Danger said:
No, not this one. (Do you remember Tunguska?)
I don't think you should be in the same state with Ivan either... So what were we talking about...farm animals, no that's another thread, oh yes, farm implements!

SOS2008 said:
So what were we talking about...farm animals, no that's another thread, oh yes, farm implements!
Either/or. They're both just something to be used and left in the field.

SOS2008 said:
I don't think you should be in the same state with Ivan either... So what were we talking about...farm animals, no that's another thread, oh yes, farm implements!

I better go find the thread on farm animals so I can comment on your new avatar! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I better go find the thread on farm animals so I can comment on your new avatar! :biggrin:
I'm getting a novel idea for a petting zoo here...

I thought that the farm machinery was particularly symbolic of the changing economy. There are hardly any farms around here anymore (not counting cranberry bogs). You can only wonder. The seeder has been standing there so long that it can no longer even fit between the trees of the forest that was once farmland--ground that it once, perhaps, seeded with crops.

Related to Unusual Discovery in the Woods: An Old Farm Machine

1. What is the significance of the old farm machine found in the woods?

The old farm machine found in the woods could potentially hold significant historical or cultural value. It may provide insight into past farming practices or technology, or could be a rare and valuable artifact.

2. How did the old farm machine end up in the woods?

There are a few possible explanations for how the old farm machine ended up in the woods. It could have been abandoned there by the previous owners of the land, or it could have been moved there as part of a farming or logging operation. Alternatively, the machine could have been discarded or left behind by a previous owner of the property.

3. What condition is the old farm machine in?

The condition of the old farm machine may vary depending on how long it has been in the woods and the materials it is made of. It could be in good condition and potentially still functional, or it could be rusted and deteriorated due to exposure to the elements. A thorough inspection and evaluation by a professional may be needed to determine its condition.

4. Could the old farm machine be dangerous to explore or handle?

It is possible that the old farm machine could be dangerous to explore or handle, especially if it is in poor condition. Rusty metal, sharp edges, and other hazards could be present. It is important to use caution and proper safety equipment when handling the machine.

5. What should be done with the old farm machine once it is discovered?

The best course of action for the old farm machine will depend on its condition and any regulations or laws in the area. If it is in good condition and holds historical value, it may be worth preserving and potentially displaying in a museum or historical society. If it is in poor condition and poses a safety hazard, it may need to be properly disposed of. Consulting with local authorities or experts in the field can help determine the best course of action.