Unravel the meaning of the variables to find numerical answers

In summary, the conversation is about a riddle involving solving for four variables, "s", "t", "r", and "u", using a set of equations. The riddle states that the variables cannot equal zero and cannot repeat themselves. The correct solution is s=1, t=-1, u=i, and r=-i, but the variables can also be inter-transposed and still make sense.
AtaraxiaAle
This is a riddle that has proven to be a stumper.
At least, the people I have asked...

The task is to unravel the meaning of the variables to find numerical answers.
Can you do it?

Solve for "s", "t", "r", and "u:" *Edit* When Zero is not a solution. *Edit*

[tex]
s * s & = & & s \\
[/tex]

[tex]
s * t & = & & t \\
[/tex]

[tex]
t * r & = & & u \\
[/tex]

[tex]
u * u & = & & t \\
[/tex]

[tex]
u * r & = & & s \\
[/tex]

[tex]
r * r & = & & t \\
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

s=0
t=0
u=0
r=0

Ah, yes, this is true; but not exactly as complicated as it truly is.

I say this, and I should have said this before, because none of these values equal zero.

And! No values "repeat" themselves, exactly.

Try again

s=1
t=1
u=1
r=1

Or is that what you mean by "No values repeat themselves, exactly."

s = 1
t = -1
u = i
r = -i

ha-Ha! Yes, that is the correct set of answers "Moo"!

But you can also notice that i and -i can be inter-transposed and still make sense.

Good job.

Yea, if they are all ones then it works as well, but I thought that
was too easy so I said that they shouldn't repeat.

Related to Unravel the meaning of the variables to find numerical answers

1. What is the purpose of unraveling the meaning of variables?

The purpose of unraveling the meaning of variables is to understand the relationship between different quantities and determine how changes in one variable will affect the others. This allows for numerical answers to be calculated and predictions to be made.

2. How do you identify the variables in a scientific problem?

The variables in a scientific problem can be identified by looking for quantities that can be measured or changed. These are typically represented by letters or symbols in equations or graphs.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent variables?

The independent variable is the quantity that is being manipulated or changed by the scientist, while the dependent variable is the quantity that is being measured or observed and is affected by changes in the independent variable.

4. Why is it important to understand the meaning of variables in a scientific experiment?

Understanding the meaning of variables is crucial because it allows for the accurate interpretation of data and results. It also helps to identify any potential sources of error and ensures that the experiment is properly controlled.

5. How can you use numerical answers from unraveling variables to make predictions?

Numerical answers obtained from unraveling variables can be used to make predictions by applying the relationships between the variables to different scenarios. This allows for the estimation of future outcomes or the evaluation of the effects of different variables on the outcome.