Unpublished research and job interviews

In summary, the speaker is a master's student in engineering who has a job interview tomorrow. They have been asked to prepare a presentation of their research, but the PhD student they have been working with has asked them not to share any unpublished information. The speaker is unsure of what to do and seeks advice. The suggested solution is to show a diluted version of the research to make the interviewers interested but not share any confidential information without permission. It is also suggested that the speaker should discuss this with their collaborators and only proceed with their approval.
yllihp
I'm doing my masters in engineering, and I have a job interview tomorrow. They've asked me to prepare a presentation of my research for the interview. The thing is, the PhD student I've been working with has asked me not to share the information with anyone else since not all of it has been published yet...What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's unpublished, just show them a diluted version, just the .ppt that will make them interested without being spoonfed.

Edit: I just assumed you want the job. If you don't want it, don't bother to lose time with the interview and work for the desired degree instead.

Last edited:
You should discuss this with the PhD student and supervisor (or other collaborators) - not with us.

I second atyy- you have an ethical obligation to get permission from your collaborators before presenting *anything*.

As a scientist, it is important to prioritize ethical considerations in all aspects of research and professional interactions. In this situation, it is understandable that the PhD student may want to keep the research information confidential until it is published. However, it is also important to fulfill the requirements of the job interview and present your research in a professional and accurate manner.

One option could be to discuss the situation with your advisor or mentor and seek their advice on how to handle the request from the PhD student. They may be able to provide guidance on how to share enough information to fulfill the requirements of the job interview without compromising the confidentiality of the research.

It may also be helpful to communicate openly and honestly with the potential employer about the confidentiality of the research and the request from the PhD student. This shows professionalism and integrity, and the employer may appreciate your transparency.

Ultimately, it is important to respect the wishes of the PhD student while also fulfilling your responsibilities for the job interview. By seeking guidance and communicating openly, you can navigate this situation in an ethical and professional manner.

Related to Unpublished research and job interviews

1. What is unpublished research and why is it important in job interviews?

Unpublished research refers to any research that has not yet been published in a scientific journal or presented at a conference. It can include data, experiments, or analyses that have not been made available to the public. In job interviews, discussing unpublished research can demonstrate your expertise and potential contributions to the company or organization.

2. Can I share unpublished research in a job interview?

Yes, you can share unpublished research in a job interview. However, it is important to consider any confidentiality agreements or restrictions that may be in place. If you are unsure, it is best to check with your supervisor or collaborators before sharing any unpublished research.

3. How can I effectively communicate unpublished research in a job interview?

When discussing unpublished research in a job interview, it is important to provide enough context and background information so that the interviewer can understand the significance and potential impact of your work. You should also be prepared to answer questions about your research methods, results, and future directions.

4. Is it appropriate to include unpublished research in my resume or CV?

It is generally not recommended to include unpublished research in your resume or CV. Instead, you can mention it briefly in your cover letter or during the interview. However, if the research is relevant to the position you are applying for and you have permission to share it, you can include it in your application materials.

5. Should I prioritize sharing unpublished research over published research in a job interview?

It depends on the specific job and organization you are interviewing with. If the job requires a specific skill or expertise that is showcased in your unpublished research, then it may be appropriate to prioritize it. Otherwise, it is generally best to focus on your published research, as it has already been peer-reviewed and validated.