Unlocking the Power of Salt Water: Harnessing Hydrogen & Oxygen

In summary, the article discusses a new method for separating water into hydrogen and oxygen using an RF generator. The process involves weakening the bonds holding the constituents of salt water, releasing hydrogen which can be ignited and burned continuously in the presence of the energy field. The potential application of this development as a power source is highlighted, but there are concerns about efficiency and the laws of entropy. The discussion on the Physics Forums also raises questions about the feasibility of this process as a source of energy. Overall, this is an interesting subject with ongoing research and discussions taking place.
LURCH
Science Advisor
This article; http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=SALTASFUEL-09-10-07 , from Scripps Howard talks about what appears to be a new method for seperating Water into Hydrogen and Oxygen by exposing it to an RF generator.
From the Article:
Roy said the salt water isn't burning per se, despite appearances. The radio frequency actually weakens bonds holding together the constituents of salt water -- sodium chloride, hydrogen and oxygen -- and releases the hydrogen, which, once ignited, burns continuously when exposed to the RF energy field. Kanzius said an independent source measured the flame's temperature, which exceeds 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit, reflecting an enormous energy output.

The article seems to make a big deal out of the possible application of this development as a power source. At least there is one mention of the question of efficiency;
But researching its potential will take time and money, he said. One immediate question is energy efficiency: The energy the RF generator uses vs. the energy output from burning hydrogen

NOw, unless somebody changed the laws of Entropy while I wasn't looking, this process which starts with liquid water and ends up burning Hydrogen and Oxygen to produce water can't be a source of energy. Do you guys see anything I missed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks Berkman. I thought there would already ber a thread on this, but I didn't think to look in that Forum. Seems kinda obvious, now.

LURCH said:
Thanks Berkman. I thought there would already ber a thread on this, but I didn't think to look in that Forum. Seems kinda obvious, now.

No worries. Pretty interesting subject, eh? I'm just glad that we have a place like the PF to provide such lucid commentary on subjects like this one.

1. What is the process of harnessing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water?

The process of harnessing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water is called electrolysis. It involves passing an electric current through the salt water, which causes the water molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen gases.

2. What are the potential uses for the hydrogen and oxygen gases produced from salt water?

The hydrogen and oxygen gases produced from salt water can be used as a renewable source of energy. Hydrogen can be used as a clean fuel for vehicles, while oxygen can be used for medical purposes and in industrial processes.

3. How efficient is the process of electrolysis for producing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water?

The efficiency of electrolysis for producing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water depends on several factors, such as the type of electrolyte used, the current and voltage applied, and the design of the electrolysis system. However, with advancements in technology, the efficiency of electrolysis has greatly improved in recent years.

4. What are the potential environmental benefits of harnessing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water?

Using hydrogen and oxygen from salt water as a source of energy can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which contribute to air pollution and climate change. It is also a renewable resource, meaning it can be continuously produced without depleting natural resources.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to harnessing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water?

One of the main challenges of harnessing hydrogen and oxygen from salt water is the high energy input required for electrolysis. This can make the process expensive and may limit its widespread use. Additionally, the storage and transportation of hydrogen can also be challenging. However, with ongoing research and development, these challenges can be overcome.