University Physics textbook topics

In summary: Yes, I did look at an on-line version of the books' TOC. And I did not find jerk. I could not find an index, so thanks for that info Mr. Jones. I did see mention of jerk in the synopsis for another book but as you say, it was VERY limited.
rqjoe
Does anyone have the latest University Physics (Young) textbook and know if there is a discussion of "jerk" in it? THanks, JP

Physics news on Phys.org
rqjoe said:
Does anyone have the latest University Physics (Young) textbook and know if there is a discussion of "jerk" in it? THanks, JP
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

If you go to Amazon's book section and search on the book, often you can "Look Inside" at the Table of Contents and other places. Have you tried that yet?

berkeman said:
If you go to Amazon's book section and search on the book, often you can "Look Inside" at the Table of Contents and other places.
Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321973615/?tag=pfamazon01-20

upload_2018-8-29_7-59-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_7-59-40.png
    upload_2018-8-29_7-59-40.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 599
rqjoe said:

berkeman said:
If you go to Amazon's book section and search on the book, often you can "Look Inside" at the Table of Contents and other places. Have you tried that yet?

Using "Look Inside", I see that jerk is not in the index. This topic usually isn't discussed, .e.g., I just pulled (at random) a couple of other first-year texts off my shelf, I don't see it either of them.

I have a friend, a retired teacher, who wears a t-shirt that says "Don't be a ##\frac{d^3 x}{dt^3}##." I suppose one has to be a bit geeky to understand this.

Likes Doc Al and berkeman
Thanks guys. Yes I did look at an on-line version of the books' TOC. And I did not find jerk. I could not find an index, so thanks for that info Mr. Jones. I did see mention of jerk in the synopsis for another book but as you say, it was VERY limited.

I was afraid this would be the answer.

The only question is for what "jerk", i.e., ##\dot{\vec{a}}## is good for. The only place in physics I ever got this quantity is in the notorious problem to describe radiation reaction to classical point particles, and there it makes a lot of trouble, which is resolved by making another approximation to eliminate it (i.e., going from the Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac equation which is flawed due to the fact that classical point particles make no sense and don't exist in a naive way, to the Landau-Lifshitz equation, which at least has less flaws). This stuff is, however, way beyond the level of this introductory textbook.

Likes Demystifier
Right. The one book (forgot the title) I saw "jerk" in, said the same thing; 'not used for much in physics.'
I have the 6th edition of University Physics and was thinking of updating to the newest one.
Wondered if they expanded scope to at least introduce things like this.
thanks guys

Related to University Physics textbook topics

1. What is the best textbook for learning university physics?

The best textbook for learning university physics may vary depending on your personal learning style and preferences. Some popular textbooks used in university physics courses include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It is recommended to consult with your professor or classmates for their recommendations before making a decision.

2. How does university physics differ from high school physics?

University physics covers more advanced topics and delves deeper into concepts compared to high school physics. It also assumes a stronger mathematical background and may include more rigorous problem-solving techniques. Additionally, university physics often utilizes calculus for solving problems.

3. Can I learn university physics without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is highly recommended for understanding university physics, it is not impossible to learn without one. Some textbooks may provide a review of necessary mathematical concepts, and there are also many online resources or tutoring services available to help with any math-related difficulties.

4. How can I best prepare for a university physics course?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry before taking a university physics course. It may also be beneficial to review concepts from high school physics, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will be helpful.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement my university physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your university physics textbook. Some popular resources include online lecture videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems with solutions. It is important to use these resources as a supplement and not as a replacement for your textbook and class lectures.