University of Florida Student: Should I Take Modern Physics?

• Thread starter Valhalla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scheduling
In summary, the student is an EE major and wants to minor in physics. Classes taken include circuits, C++ programming, linear algebra, engineering analysis, and Modern Physics if it is taken. The student is allowed only 2 drops in their undergraduate degree and is nervous about the workload for Modern Physics. They suggest waiting until the spring to take the class. The benefit of taking the physics class right away is not clear. The class description for engineering analysis is not clear. The student is planning on working and estimates that it will take about 3 hours per week including drive time.
Valhalla
I am starting my junior year at a big school (University of Florida) and I just transferred in from a local community college. I am an EE major and I want to have a physics minor. My advisor told me that I should probably wait before taking Modern Physics (Phy III). My classes look like this:

Circuits 1
C++ programming w/ Lab
Linear Algebra
Engineering Analysis (with emphisis in EE problems)

Total Hours: 14

(if I take modern physics)
Total Hours: 17

I want to take Modern Physics but that will put me up 17 hours. My advisor thinks I should wait and take it next semester too ensure that I get a good GPA this semester. I am a dedicated student and had a 4.0 at the CC. I have no doubt that I can pass all the classes but with it being my first semester at a new university I am nervous. Should I hold off on taking Modern Physics till the spring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any option to start taking the physics class and then drop it if it is too much of a load?

I am allowed only 2 drops while completing my undergrad work. So I want to try and save those.

I'd wait, honestly, since you're a transfer student. Get a semester under your belt so that you can understand the workload required for the classes before you stretch yourself too thin.

What benefit will you get by taking the physics class right away?

My first circuits class took up a lot more time then anyone in the class expected, but that will vary from school to school.

If you haven't done any programming before, your first programming class can beat you up a little because everything will be new. If you have had a programming class before, it will be easy.

Linear algebra isn't hard as long as you keep up.

What's the class description for engineering analysis?

Are you planning on working? How many hours per week including drive time?

Related to University of Florida Student: Should I Take Modern Physics?

1. What is Modern Physics?

Modern Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the fundamental laws of nature at the atomic and subatomic level. It includes the study of quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. Is Modern Physics a required course for University of Florida students?

No, Modern Physics is not a required course for all University of Florida students. It is typically taken by students majoring in physics or related fields, and may also be taken as an elective by students in other majors.

3. What topics are covered in Modern Physics?

Modern Physics covers a wide range of topics including quantum mechanics, relativity, atomic and nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology. It also includes the study of modern technologies such as lasers, semiconductors, and nanotechnology.

4. Is Modern Physics a difficult course?

Modern Physics can be a challenging course for some students, as it deals with complex concepts and mathematical equations. However, with dedication and practice, students can successfully understand and apply these concepts.

5. What career opportunities are available for students who take Modern Physics?

Students who take Modern Physics may pursue careers in research, academia, or industries such as technology, engineering, and healthcare. The skills and knowledge gained through this course are highly valued in a variety of fields.