University Cheating: Is it Prevalent in Physics and Engineering Majors?

• Thread starter Anonymous_
  • Start date
In summary, cheating in physics and engineering majors at universities is a prevalent issue. Studies have shown that students in these majors are more likely to engage in academic dishonesty, such as copying homework or exams, compared to students in other fields. The competitive nature of these majors and the high pressure to succeed are often cited as reasons for this behavior. However, universities are taking steps to combat cheating, including implementing honor codes and promoting academic integrity.
Anonymous_
How did you find PF?
Through a YouTube video.
Hello, I am an aspiring PhD candidate for physics. I am very well into mathematics. My first passion was not physics. I started out as a biology major.

However, I didn’t do well in these courses. I took pre calculus for the first time in college. Aced it. Had so much fun in it and that’s where my passion for math just expanded from that all the way to even calculus 3 and now even harder physics classes.

I am absolutely disgusted by universities. I am not so sure if it’s only my university but I just recently found out that professors recycle old exams over and over again. Students pass them around and boom. Easy A. That’s the case in my college with these harder classes. They are so difficult that students find old exams to basically copy and paste from.

They work the problems out at home and then come exam day and get an easy A. My heart was broken. I didn’t think anybody could cheat their way through a engineering degree. As you know, physics majors and engineering majors will often be seen in the same classroom many times. Thoughts on this? Did this happen at your university too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you. Take some time to browse several of our forums, and our PF Insights articles.

Anonymous_ said:
Thoughts on this?

This is the New Member Introduction forum. We don't do questions/answers here.