Units of constant of proportionality, can I sum them like this ?

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the forum poster is trying to determine scaling constants a and b in order to calculate the voltage required to produce a certain contrast value on a CRT monitor. They propose defining a and b with the units of volts and summing the products in the case of V3. However, it is important to consider the units of C1, C2, C3, and C4 in determining the units of a and b. It would also be helpful to double check the equations and ensure they accurately represent the relationships between contrast values and voltages.
gjenn01

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have four different, but known, dimensionless values C1, C2, C3 and C4 (they are actually contrasts that can be displayed on a crt monitor).

I have measured the voltages (V1 and V2) required to produce C1 and C2 in isolation, but have had to measure V3 by combining C3 and C4 together, I think I may have the relationsihps as defined below, where a and b are scaling constants, and also there is a relation between C1 and C3 and also C2 and C4, hence the use of the same scaling fators.

Homework Equations

V1 = a * C1
V2 = b * C2, and
V3 = (a * C3) + (b * C4)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is can I simply say that I'm going to define a and b to have the units of Volts in order for the equtions to balance? and in the case of V3 can I just sum the products a*C3 and b*C4 and set it equal to V3?

I think this is a valid method of combining units, but would be grateful for any advice if I have overlooked something or made a logical error, etc, many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you are trying to determine the scaling constants a and b in order to calculate the voltage required to produce a certain contrast value on a CRT monitor. Your proposed method of defining a and b with the units of volts and summing the products in the case of V3 seems reasonable.

However, it is important to note that the units of a and b should be determined based on the units of C1, C2, C3, and C4. For example, if C1 is in units of percentage and C2 is in units of decibels, a and b would need to have different units in order for the equations to balance. It would be helpful to provide more information about the units of your contrast values in order to ensure accurate calculations.

Additionally, it may be useful to double check your equations and make sure they accurately reflect the relationships between the contrast values and voltages. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

Related to Units of constant of proportionality, can I sum them like this ?

What are units of constant of proportionality?

Units of constant of proportionality are used to represent the relationship between two quantities. They show how one quantity changes in relation to the other, and are often written as a ratio or fraction.

Can I sum units of constant of proportionality?

No, units of constant of proportionality cannot be summed. They represent the relationship between two quantities and cannot be combined with other units of measurement.

How do I calculate units of constant of proportionality?

Units of constant of proportionality can be calculated by dividing the units of the dependent variable by the units of the independent variable. This will give the units of the constant of proportionality, which can then be used to write the equation for the relationship between the two quantities.

What is the difference between units of constant of proportionality and units of measurement?

Units of constant of proportionality represent the relationship between two quantities, while units of measurement represent the size or amount of a particular quantity. Units of constant of proportionality cannot be converted or combined with other units, while units of measurement can be converted using conversion factors.

Why are units of constant of proportionality important in science?

Units of constant of proportionality are important in science because they help to describe the relationship between two quantities in a mathematical and quantitative way. They also allow for the comparison and analysis of data, and can help to make predictions about how one quantity will change in relation to another.