Ranking capacitors by the potential difference across them.

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a B-battery and three capacitors, C1, C2, and C3, arranged in parallel and series. The goal is to rank the capacitors from largest to smallest based on their potential differences. The conversation also mentions the concept of voltage splitting evenly across C2 and C3 and the need to find the equivalent capacitance of C2 and C3 combined.
dswatson
I have a circuit that is in a read only file so I can't get an image on here so I will try to create it on here

B-battery
C-capacitor

----C1-------------
l.....l...l
B...C2...C3
l.....l...l
--------------------

Ignore the periods (.) because they are just place holders. The lower case L (l) are vertical wires and the dashs (-) are horizontal wires
Ok so here I have C2 and C3 in parallel and C1 is in series with the equivalent of C2 + C3

C1=3C
C2=C
C3=5C

I am supposed to rank these from largest to smallest using their potential differences. Conceptually I know that V1>V2=V3 and I can explain it, the voltage splits evenly across C2 and C3 and C1~2C2, if I am thinking correctly. I have to show this mathematically and I'm not sure how to go about doing so. If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dswatson! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
dswatson said:
C1=3C
C2=C
C3=5C

I am supposed to rank these from largest to smallest using their potential differences. Conceptually I know that V1>V2=V3 and I can explain it, the voltage splits evenly across C2 and C3 and C1~2C2, if I am thinking correctly. I have to show this mathematically …

saying the voltage splits evenly across C2 and C3 is slightly missing the point …

the voltage is the same across C2 and C3, because it is always the same between any two particular points, no matter which path you take

what do you mean by "C1~2C2"? :confused:

you need to find the equivalent capacitance of C2 and C3 combined …

what is it? :smile:

Related to Ranking capacitors by the potential difference across them.

1. What is the potential difference across a capacitor?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, across a capacitor is the difference in electric potential between the two plates of the capacitor. It is measured in volts (V) and is a key factor in determining the energy storage capacity of the capacitor.

2. How do you rank capacitors by their potential difference?

To rank capacitors by their potential difference, simply measure the voltage across each capacitor using a voltmeter and list them in order from highest to lowest. This will give you a ranking of the capacitors based on their voltage ratings.

3. Why is it important to rank capacitors by their potential difference?

The potential difference across a capacitor determines its energy storage capacity and its ability to withstand high voltages. By ranking capacitors, you can determine which ones are best suited for specific applications and avoid damaging them by using them outside of their voltage ratings.

4. Can capacitors with higher potential differences be used in place of lower rated ones?

Yes, capacitors with higher potential differences can be used in place of lower rated ones. However, it is important to make sure that the capacitance (measured in farads) of the higher rated capacitor is equal to or greater than the lower rated one in order to ensure proper functioning in the circuit.

5. How do you calculate the potential difference across a capacitor in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the potential difference across each capacitor is equal to the total voltage of the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the potential difference across each capacitor is equal to the voltage of the individual branch it is connected to. These calculations can be done using Ohm's Law (V=IR) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.