Unit Vector with Angle θ=-3∏/4 from Positive X-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit vector that makes an angle of -3∏/4 with the positive x-axis. The suggested method is to divide the given vector by its magnitude, but the issue is finding a vector that makes that angle. The conversation then clarifies that the slope of a line is not the angle, but rather the tangent of the angle. The solution is given as cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}.
shamus390
Find the unit vector that makes an angle θ=-3∏/4 with the positive x-axis

I know to find a unit vector you divide the given vector by its magnitude, so I guess my problem is finding any vector that makes that angle with the positive x axis. I figured if that angle was the slope of a line, then when x=1, y=-3∏/4. So I divided the vector <1,-3∏/4> by its magnitude and got the wrong answer. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first, y is not 3pi/4. Remember your equation for slope: tan(theta) = y/x. What's tan(theta) in this case? That'll give you y/x = c for some c, and you can use THAT to get a vector.

A unit vector that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the positive x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex]. I thought everyone knew tha!

"I figured if that angle was the slope of a line"
No, the tangent of the angle is the slope of the line.

Related to Unit Vector with Angle θ=-3∏/4 from Positive X-Axis

What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a direction or orientation.

Why is it important to find a unit vector?

Unit vectors are important because they have a magnitude of 1, making them useful for normalizing other vectors. They can also be used to represent directions and orientations in a coordinate system.

How do you find a unit vector?

To find a unit vector, divide each component of a given vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction, but with a magnitude of 1.

What are some applications of unit vectors?

Unit vectors have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are commonly used in vector calculus, electromagnetism, and mechanics to represent directions and orientations. They are also used in computer graphics to represent 3D objects.

Can a zero vector be a unit vector?

No, a zero vector has a magnitude of 0 and therefore cannot be a unit vector. A unit vector must have a magnitude of 1.