Unit Vector Perpendicular to a Triangle?

In summary, to find a unit vector perpendicular to triangle PQS, you can use the cross product of the vector difference between P and S and Q. This is because the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both vectors, and taking the difference between S and P gives a vector parallel to the triangle.
neotriz

Homework Statement

Given: P=(1,-2,3), Q=(-4,2,5) and S=(2,1-4)

Find a unit vector that is perpendicular to triangle PQS

Homework Equations

Cross and Dot Product

The Attempt at a Solution

Correct me if I'm doing wrong. I have two solutions that I've thought:

1)What I would do is find the dot product of S and P and using that result, cross product with Q.

or

2)Find two dot products of two opposite triangle sidesand cross product on those.

Just want to make sure I am doing right

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take a dot product, you're left with a scalar. The cross product requires vectors to be calculated.

You have the right idea of using the cross product though. One of the fundamental properties of the cross product is that [itex] v_1 \times v_2[/itex] is perpendicular to both v1 and v2. So you want to find two vectors from your triangle such that, if you get a vector perpendicular to both of them, you get a vector perpendicular to the triangle.

I forgot that in dot product it gives you scalar result

How about this then:

I find P to S vector difference , which will result a vector of <-1, -3, -7> and using that vector, I cross product with Q

neotriz said:
I forgot that in dot product it gives you scalar result

How about this then:

I find P to S vector difference , which will result a vector of <-1, -3, -7>

This is good. Taking the difference between S and P gives a vector that's pointing along one of the edges of the triangle, so is parallel to the triangle

and using that vector, I cross product with Q

On the other hand, is Q parallel to the triangle?

Related to Unit Vector Perpendicular to a Triangle?

1. What is a unit vector perpendicular to a triangle?

A unit vector perpendicular to a triangle is a vector that is perpendicular to all three sides of the triangle and has a magnitude of 1. This means it is a vector with a length of 1 unit and is perpendicular to the triangle's surface.

2. How do you find a unit vector perpendicular to a triangle?

To find a unit vector perpendicular to a triangle, you can use the cross product of two of the triangle's sides. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the sides and will have a magnitude of 1. You can also normalize this vector to ensure it has a length of 1 unit.

3. Why is a unit vector perpendicular to a triangle useful?

A unit vector perpendicular to a triangle can be useful in many applications, including physics and engineering. It can be used to represent the direction and orientation of a plane or surface, and it can also be used to calculate the normal force acting on the triangle.

4. Can a triangle have more than one unit vector perpendicular to it?

Yes, a triangle can have an infinite number of unit vectors perpendicular to it, as long as they all lie on the triangle's surface. This is because a unit vector can rotate around the triangle's surface while maintaining its perpendicularity to the triangle's sides.

5. How is a unit vector perpendicular to a triangle different from a normal vector?

A unit vector perpendicular to a triangle is a special case of a normal vector, as it is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is perpendicular to the triangle's surface. A normal vector, on the other hand, can have any magnitude and can be perpendicular to any surface.