Unit Tangent Vector of a curve / Arc Length

In summary, the task is to find the unit tangent vector and the length of a specified portion of a curve given by the equation r(t) = (-3tcost)i + (3tsint)j + (2√2)t(3/2)k, with the parameter t ranging from 0 to π. The first step is to find the derivative of r(t), which yields v(t) = (3tsint - 3cost)i + (3tcost + 3sint)j + (3√2t)k. Then, to find the unit tangent vector, v(t) needs to be divided by its length, which can be simplified using the trigonometric identity sin^2
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the curve's unit tangent vector. Also, find the length of the indicated portion of the curve.

Homework Equations

r(t) = (-3tcost)i + (3tsint)j + (2[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])t(3/2)k

0 ≤ t ≤ ∏

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found dr/dt (I think), which is

v(t) = (3tsint - 3cost)i + (3tcost + 3sint)j + (3[itex]\sqrt{2t}[/itex])k

This would be the tangent vector at 't', right?

So to find the unit tangent vector, I need to divide v(t) by its length, which would be the square root of its terms squared. This looks like it's going to be very ugly, but I tried to do it anyway. I got some huge radical that went all the way across the page.

The example showed that |v| was equal something much simpler, 3(t+1). My trig is not great, and I can't see how they got it down that small. Is there some trig identity I'm overlooking?

By the way, I am not taking any classes, this is independent study. I got this question from www.interactmath.com , Thomas' Calculus, 12e - Chapter 13, Section 3, Exercise 7

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

So I found dr/dt (I think), which is

v(t) = (3tsint - 3cost)i + (3tcost + 3sint)j + (3[itex]\sqrt{2t}[/itex])k

This would be the tangent vector at 't', right?

So to find the unit tangent vector, I need to divide v(t) by its length, which would be the square root of its terms squared. This looks like it's going to be very ugly, but I tried to do it anyway. I got some huge radical that went all the way across the page.

That's the tangent vector alright.

The square of its terms works out to something very simple. What did you get for it?

Well, my work is actually gone for it, but I FOILed the i and j terms.

Like I said in the original post, I ended up with some huge radical that went all the way across the page, and I couldn't seem to simplify it. I think I remember being able to factor off a coefficient of 3, and being left with a common expression of (sint + tcost), but I wasn't sure what to do with that, or how they got the whole thing to boil down to 3(t+1).

My trig is not great.

Anyway, going out of town, be back sunday. Thanks in advance for your input.

well just remember the trig identity sin2(θ) + cos2(θ) = 1 and your radical will simplify greatly (assuming you foil correctly).

pergradus said:
well just remember the trig identity sin2(θ) + cos2(θ) = 1 and your radical will simplify greatly (assuming you foil correctly).

I must have not foiled correctly then, because I was looking for that! The previous exercise made use of that, so I was looking for it, but I must've made a mistake. I will try again, thanks.

Oooook, I found it! Thanks for all your help!

Related to Unit Tangent Vector of a curve / Arc Length

1. What is the unit tangent vector of a curve?

The unit tangent vector of a curve is a vector that is tangent to the curve at a specific point and has a magnitude of 1. It represents the direction in which the curve is moving at that point.

2. How is the unit tangent vector of a curve calculated?

The unit tangent vector of a curve is calculated by taking the derivative of the curve at a specific point and then normalizing it to have a magnitude of 1. This can be represented by the formula T = r'(t) / ||r'(t)||, where r'(t) is the derivative of the curve and ||r'(t)|| is the magnitude of the derivative.

3. What is the significance of the unit tangent vector in calculus?

The unit tangent vector is important in calculus because it helps us understand the direction in which a curve is moving at a specific point. It also plays a role in calculating other important quantities such as curvature and arc length.

4. What is the relationship between the unit tangent vector and arc length of a curve?

The unit tangent vector and arc length of a curve are closely related. The unit tangent vector gives us the direction in which the curve is moving at a specific point, and the arc length gives us the total length of the curve. By using the unit tangent vector, we can calculate the rate at which the curve is changing and use it to find the arc length.

5. How can the unit tangent vector be used to find the curvature of a curve?

The unit tangent vector is used in the formula for curvature, which is given by k = ||r'(t) x r''(t)|| / ||r'(t)||^3, where r'(t) is the first derivative of the curve and r''(t) is the second derivative. The magnitude of the cross product between these two vectors is divided by the magnitude of the first derivative to give us the curvature of the curve at a specific point.