Unit tangent and normal vectors

In summary, the velocity, speed, acceleration, and unit tangent are found by multiplying the vector by a positive scalar, while the unit normal is just the unit vector perpendicular to the unit tangent.
cdotter

Homework Statement

r(t)=ti+t^2j
Find the velocity, speed, acceleration, unit tangent, and unit normal vectors.

Homework Equations

Velocity=r'(t)
Speed=magnitude of r'(t)
Acceleration=r''(t)
Unit tangent=r'(t)/magnitude of r'(t)
Unit normal=d/dt[unit tangent]/magnitude of d/dt[unit tangent]

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity=i+2tj
Speed=[itex]\sqrt{1^2+(2t)^2} = \sqrt{1+4t^2}[/itex]
Acceleration=2j
Unit tangent=[tex]\frac{i+2tj}{\sqrt{1+4t^2}}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure that's all right so far. I get mixed up in the algebra at the unit normal.

For d/dt[unit tangent] I have [tex]\frac{2j\sqrt{1+4t^2}-\frac{1}{2}(1+4t^2)^{-1/2}(8t)}{1+4t^2}[/tex].

Is that correct? How do I take the magnitude of that mess? I can't really see a way to simplify it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your unit normal still has to have a direction doesn't it? if you find the i and j components, then you can find the magnitude the same way you found the magnitude of r'(t)

That's the problem, I have no idea how to simplify it to something where I can square the components, add them, and take the square root. :cry:

hi cdotter! :wink:
cdotter said:
Unit normal=d/dt[unit tangent]/magnitude of d/dt[unit tangent]

nooo!

the unit normal is simply the unit vector perpendicular to the unit tangent! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi cdotter! :wink:

nooo!

the unit normal is simply the unit vector perpendicular to the unit tangent! :smile:

Maybe I called it the wrong thing...the principal unit normal vector?

http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/202/vectorFunctions/tannorm.htm

I just found this trick to simplify it so maybe that will work:

"Since the unit vector in the direction of a given vector will be the same after multiplying the vector by a positive scalar, we can simplify by multiplying by the factor"

cdotter said:

http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/202/vectorFunctions/tannorm.htm

I just found this trick to simplify it so maybe that will work:

"Since the unit vector in the direction of a given vector will be the same after multiplying the vector by a positive scalar, we can simplify by multiplying by the factor"

haha funny thing is I was literally just reading that link. I wasn't going to send it to you because it is the exact question that you are given.

dacruick said:
haha funny thing is I was literally just reading that link. I wasn't going to send it to you because it is the exact question that you are given.

:smile: I didn't realize the exact same problem was there until you said it, I just saw the trick/technique.

cdotter said:

ah!

as you can see, my definition also works (and is much quicker) …

the only difference is that my method comes up with two unit normal vectors (oppsotie each other),

the one you need is "is the unique vector that points into the curve", ie the one towards the centre of curvature (the concave side)

for a 3D curve, you do need the book's method, to decide which one is the principal vector

but for a 2D curve like this, just choosing the concave side is enough! :wink:

Related to Unit tangent and normal vectors

1. What are unit tangent and normal vectors?

Unit tangent and normal vectors are two vectors that are used to describe the direction and orientation of a curve or surface at a specific point. The unit tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to the curve or surface at that point and has a magnitude of 1. The unit normal vector is perpendicular to the tangent vector and also has a magnitude of 1.

2. How are unit tangent and normal vectors calculated?

To calculate the unit tangent vector, you will first need to find the derivative of the curve or surface at the given point. Then, you will divide the derivative vector by its magnitude to get the unit tangent vector. The unit normal vector can be found by taking the cross product of the unit tangent vector and the second derivative vector at the given point.

3. What is the significance of unit tangent and normal vectors?

Unit tangent and normal vectors are important in understanding the direction and curvature of a curve or surface at a specific point. They are also used in various mathematical applications, such as in calculating the curvature of a curve or the normal force on an object moving along a curved path.

4. Can unit tangent and normal vectors be negative?

Yes, unit tangent and normal vectors can have negative components. The sign of the components will depend on the direction of the curve or surface at the given point. However, the magnitude of the vectors will always be positive.

5. How are unit tangent and normal vectors used in physics?

In physics, unit tangent and normal vectors are used to understand the direction and curvature of motion of objects moving along a curved path. They are also used in calculating the normal force on an object moving along a curved path, as well as in determining the direction of magnetic and electric fields in electromagnetic theory.