Uniqueness of Zeros in Functions Related by Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that between any two consecutive zeros of a pair of functions f(x) and g(x), there is exactly one zero of the other function. This is proved by using Rolle's Theorem and showing that if there were more than one zero, it would lead to a contradiction. It is also mentioned that sin(x) and cos(x) are examples of functions that have this property. The question of whether there are any non-periodic functions with this property is raised.
drawar

Homework Statement

Given 2 functions f(x) and g(x) that are differentiable everywhere on R and f′(x) = g(x) and g′(x) = −f(x). Prove that
1. Between any two consecutive zeros of f(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of g(x)=0,
2. Between any two consecutive zeros of g(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of f(x)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the first question has something to do with Rolle's Theorem but the theorem only states that there exists a zero of f'(x)=0 between 2 zeros of f(x), without mentioning about the uniqueness of that zero. Also I have trouble tackling the second question. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
drawar said:

Homework Statement

Given 2 functions f(x) and g(x) that are differentiable everywhere on R and f′(x) = g(x) and g′(x) = −f(x). Prove that
1. Between any two consecutive zeros of f(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of g(x)=0,
2. Between any two consecutive zeros of g(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of f(x)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the first question has something to do with Rolle's Theorem but the theorem only states that there exists a zero of f'(x)=0 between 2 zeros of f(x), without mentioning about the uniqueness of that zero. Also I have trouble tackling the second question. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Suppose there were two zeros of f'(x). What does that tell you about g(x)?

Dick said:
Suppose there were two zeros of f'(x). What does that tell you about g(x)?

A contradiction! I think I quite get what you said...

Let a and b (a < b) be 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0, i.e. f(a)=f(b)=0. By Rolle's Theorem, there exists c [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c)=0, which means g(c)=0.

Suppose there were 2 zeros of f'(x) between a and b, namely c1 and c2 (a< c1 < c2 < b), then f'(c1)=f'(c2)=0, or equivalently, g(c1)=g(c2)=0. By Rolle's Theorem there exists d [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that g'(d)=0. It follows that -f(d)=0 and thus f(d)=0. This is a contradiction since a and b are 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.
Therefore there is exactly 1 zero of g(x)=0 between 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.

drawar said:
A contradiction! I think I quite get what you said...

Let a and b (a < b) be 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0, i.e. f(a)=f(b)=0. By Rolle's Theorem, there exists c [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c)=0, which means g(c)=0.

Suppose there were 2 zeros of f'(x) between a and b, namely c1 and c2 (a< c1 < c2 < b), then f'(c1)=f'(c2)=0, or equivalently, g(c1)=g(c2)=0. By Rolle's Theorem there exists d [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that g'(d)=0. It follows that -f(d)=0 and thus f(d)=0. This is a contradiction since a and b are 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.
Therefore there is exactly 1 zero of g(x)=0 between 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.

Very nice! BTW sin(x) and cos(x) are examples of a pair of functions that have this property.

Dick said:
Very nice! BTW sin(x) and cos(x) are examples of a pair of functions that have this property.

Yeah thank you so much!
I wonder if there are any non-periodic functions having this property?

Related to Uniqueness of Zeros in Functions Related by Derivatives

1. What is Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within that interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. What is the significance of Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is significant because it provides a way to find the roots of a function, which are the points where the function intersects with the x-axis. This can be useful in solving real-world problems and in furthering our understanding of mathematical concepts.

3. What is an application of Rolle's Theorem?

An application of Rolle's Theorem is in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function. By finding the roots of the derivative of a function using Rolle's Theorem, we can determine the critical points where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value.

4. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions. This means that the function must have no breaks or gaps in its graph and must have a well-defined derivative at every point in the interval.

5. How is Rolle's Theorem related to the Mean Value Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem. While Rolle's Theorem only guarantees the existence of one point with a zero derivative, the Mean Value Theorem guarantees the existence of at least one point with a specific derivative value within the interval.