Uniqueness of Solution for x' = f(x) = √(1-x^2), x(2) = 1

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the equation x' = sqrt(1-x^2) with the initial condition x(2) = 1. The solution is shown to be not unique, as there are multiple solutions that satisfy the given equation and initial condition. The concept of Lipschitz conditions is also mentioned as a determining factor for the uniqueness of the solution.
onie mti
given this equation
x' = f(x)= square root(1-x^2) x(2) = 1

I hae to show that teh solution is not unique

my work:
i tried to find the interval in which f(x) is defined,
i said:
1-x^2 ≥ 0 (because of the sqrt)
-x^2 ≥ -1
x^2≤ 1
x≤ ±1
my problem is if i take a number < 1 and substitute it on f(x) i get a negative answer> where am i going wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: initial value problem

onie mti said:
1-x^2 ≥ 0 (because of the sqrt)
-x^2 ≥ -1
x^2≤ 1
x≤ ±1

That last line should be \(\displaystyle -1<=x<=1\), which works.

The equation is \(\displaystyle x'=\sqrt{1-x^2}\), \(\displaystyle x(2)=1\).

Solving by separation of variables, I get

\(\displaystyle x=\sin\left(t+\frac{\pi}{2}-2\right)\) (Assuming that the independent variable is \(\displaystyle t\).)

Another solution would be the constant function \(\displaystyle x=1\).

So, the solution is not unique.

Last edited:

Alexmahone said:
That last line should be \(\displaystyle -1<=x<=1\), which works.

The equation is \(\displaystyle x'=\sqrt{1-x^2}\), \(\displaystyle x(2)=1\).

Solving by separation of variables, I get

\(\displaystyle x=\sin\left(t+\frac{\pi}{2}-2\right)\) (Assuming that the independent variable is \(\displaystyle t\).)

The solution is unique.

May be that the last sentence is a little questionable... in fact the [constant] function $x=1$ also satisfies [among others] the IVP $\displaystyle x^{\ '} = \sqrt{1 - x^{2}},\ x(2)=1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
May be that the last sentence is a little questionable... in fact the [constant] function $x=1$ also satisfies [among others] the IVP $\displaystyle x^{\ '} = \sqrt{1 - x^{2}},\ x(2)=1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Yeah, I realized that later and edited my post. :p

Could you elaborate "[among others]". Are you saying that there are more than 2 solutions? Which ones?

Alexmahone said:
Yeah, I realized that later and edited my post. :p

Could you elaborate "[among others]". Are you saying that there are more than 2 solutions? Which ones?

In general given an IVP...

$\displaystyle \frac{d x}{d t} = f(x,t),\ x(t_{0})=x_{0}\ (1)$

... il admits one and only one solution if f(*,*) satisfies the 'Lipschitz's conditions' on x in $(x_{0},t_{0})$, i.e. in a neighborhood of $(x_{0},t_{0})$ is...

$\displaystyle |f(x_{1},t) - f(x_{0},t)| \le K\ |x_{1} - x_{0}|\ (2)$

In Your case is $\displaystyle f(x,t) = \sqrt{1 - x^{2}}$, 'not Lipschitz' in $x =1$, so that more than one solution can exist. In particular f(*,*) is not 'anchored' at t [it is function of the x alone...] and that means that if x(t) is solution of the IVP, then x(t + a) with $a \in \mathbb{R}$ is also solution. Now You can verify that a solution is...

$\displaystyle x(t) =\begin{cases} \cos (t-2)\ \text{if}\ t \ge 2\\ 1\ \text{if}\ t< 2\end{cases}\ (3)$

... and that means that $x(t-a),\ a> 0$ is also solution of the IVP [the solution x=1 corresponds to $a = \infty$...]...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Now You can verify that a solution is...

$\displaystyle x(t) =\begin{cases} \cos (t-2)\ \text{if}\ t \ge 2\\ 1\ \text{if}\ t< 2\end{cases}\ (3)$

No, it isn't!

\(\displaystyle x'=-\sin(t-2)\) whereas \(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-x^2}=\sin(t-2)\) if \(\displaystyle t\ge 2\).

Did you mean \(\displaystyle x(t)=\sin(t-2)\) if \(\displaystyle t\ge 2\)?

Related to Uniqueness of Solution for x' = f(x) = √(1-x^2), x(2) = 1

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation given an initial condition. It is used to model many real-world situations in science and engineering.

2. What is an initial condition?

An initial condition is a set of values that specify the starting point for the solution to a differential equation. It is usually given in terms of the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space.

3. What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation at a specific initial condition, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution at multiple points or boundaries. In other words, an initial value problem has one starting point, while a boundary value problem has multiple starting points.

4. What are some methods for solving initial value problems?

Some common methods for solving initial value problems include the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Finite Difference method. These methods use numerical techniques to approximate the solution to the differential equation.

5. Why are initial value problems important in science?

Initial value problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena. Many physical, biological, and engineering systems can be described by differential equations, and initial value problems provide a way to find the specific solution to these equations at a specific starting point.