Uniqueness of limits: please check which answer i should use

In summary, in a metric space (X, d), limits are unique. This can be proven by contradiction, where assuming x = y leads to a contradiction and proves that x and y must be equal. Alternatively, using the definition of a limit, it can be shown that x = y by showing that the distance between x and y is always equal to 0.
jaci55555
uniqueness of limits: please check which answer i should use :)

Prove that in a metric space (X, d) limits are unique. [xn] -> x and xn ->y then x = y

By contradiction:
Assume x [STRIKE]=[/STRIKE]y. let |x - y|/3 (Can I just make a random assumption like this?)
|x - y| = |f(x) - x|+|f(x) - y|
defn of a limit: for all e>0 there exists d>0 st 0<|x-a|<d so that |f(x) - L|<e
thus |f(x) - x|+|f(x) - y|<= 2e
|x-y| <=2e
|x-y| +e <= 3e
|x-y| +e <= 3e(|x - y|/3)
Thus |x-y| + e<= |x-y| contradiction. therefore x=y

OR

by defn: for all e>0 there exists d>0 st 0<|x-a|<d so that |f(x) - L|<e

so 0<|xn-x|<d
0<|xn-y|<d
if you subtract them from each other then:
0<y-x<0
thus y-x = 0 and x = y

Physics news on Phys.org

I think i have it:
I know that if x(n) -> x then d(x(n), x) -> 0
and also that: d(x, y) <= d(x(n), x)+ d(x(n), y)
and distace is always greater than 0 therefore:
0<=d(x, y)<=0
therefore x =y

Related to Uniqueness of limits: please check which answer i should use

1. What is the uniqueness of limits?

The uniqueness of limits refers to the fact that for a given function, there can only be one limit at a specific point. This means that as the independent variable approaches a particular value, the dependent variable will also approach a single, unique value.

2. How is the uniqueness of limits proven?

The uniqueness of limits is proven using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This definition states that for a given function f(x) and a limit L at a point c, there exists a positive number δ such that for all x within a distance of δ from c, the value of f(x) will be within a distance of ε from L. This definition ensures that there can only be one limit at a specific point.

3. Can a function have more than one limit at a point?

No, a function can only have one limit at a point. This is because of the uniqueness of limits, which states that as the independent variable approaches a specific value, the dependent variable can only approach one unique value. If a function has multiple limits at a point, it would violate this principle.

4. How does the uniqueness of limits relate to continuity?

The uniqueness of limits is closely related to continuity, which is the property of a function where small changes in the independent variable result in small changes in the dependent variable. A function is continuous at a point if and only if its limit at that point exists and is equal to the function's value at that point. This shows that the uniqueness of limits is necessary for a function to be continuous.

5. What are the implications of the uniqueness of limits in calculus?

The uniqueness of limits plays a crucial role in calculus, as it allows for the calculation of derivatives and integrals. These fundamental concepts rely on the existence of a unique limit, which enables us to find the instantaneous rate of change and the area under a curve. Additionally, the uniqueness of limits helps in proving the fundamental theorems of calculus and other important results in the field.