Unique Solution for IVP of Continuous Functions with Global Lipschitz Condition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integral operator that is a contraction on the space of continuous functions C[0,T] with a given metric. The goal is to use this operator to show the existence of a unique solution for a given IVP problem. The participant has attempted to use an integral operator, but was not able to show it as a contraction. They are seeking help and clarification on their approach.
Eulogy

Homework Statement

For the space of continuous functions C[0,T] suppose we have the metric ρ(x,y) =sup [itex]_{t\in [0,T]}[/itex]e[itex]^{-Lt}[/itex][itex]\left|x(t)-y(t)\right|[/itex] for T>0, L≥0.

Consider the IVP problem given by

x'(t) = f(t,x(t)) for t >0,
x(0) = x[itex]_{0}[/itex]

Where f: ℝ×ℝ→ℝ is continuous and globally Lipschitz continuous with
respect to x.

Find an integral operator such that the operator is a contraction on (C[0,T],ρ) and hence deduce the IVP has a unique solution on C[itex]^{1}[/itex][0,T]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to show that the metric space (C[0,T],ρ) is complete, but I'm having problems finding an integral operator that is a contraction on the space. I've tried the operator
(Tx)(t) = [itex]x_{0}[/itex] + [itex]\int^{t}_{0}f(s,(x(s))ds [/itex]but I was not able to get a contraction. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
try finding T|x-y| and then use the lipschitz continuity?

I have tried this but was unable to show it was a contraction. I'm not to sure if I have the wrong integral operator for this particular question or if I'm trying to show a contraction in the wrong way.

I'm not sure if your operator is contraction, but it does not seem to be a fixed point iteration operator at all ...

Related to Unique Solution for IVP of Continuous Functions with Global Lipschitz Condition

1. What is an Initial Value Problem (IVP)?

An Initial Value Problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of differential equations and initial conditions. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and predict the behavior of systems over time.

2. How is an IVP different from a Boundary Value Problem?

An IVP is a problem where the values of the function and its derivatives are known at a single point, while a Boundary Value Problem involves finding a function that satisfies the given equations at multiple points. In other words, an IVP has one set of initial conditions, while a BVP has multiple sets of conditions.

3. What are some real-world applications of IVPs?

IVPs are used to model and predict the behavior of many physical systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the flow of fluids, and the growth of populations. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to analyze and understand complex systems.

4. What are the techniques used to solve IVPs?

There are several techniques used to solve IVPs, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and integration, numerical methods such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method, and computer simulations. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the accuracy required.

5. What is the importance of choosing appropriate initial conditions in an IVP?

The initial conditions in an IVP determine the unique solution to the problem. Choosing inappropriate initial conditions can result in an incorrect solution or no solution at all. Therefore, it is crucial to choose initial conditions that accurately reflect the behavior of the system being modeled.