Unifying a Piecewise Function: Finding Values for Continuity

In summary, Dick was trying to find the limits for a piecewise function that is continuous for some values of a and not continuous for other values of a. He couldn't find a and b to unify the parts of the function, and he was eventually able to solve the equations for a and b.
SYoungblood

Homework Statement

Hello, thank you in advance for all help. This is a limit problem that is giving me a particularly hard time.

Homework Equations

For what values of a and b is f(x) continuous at every x? In other words, how to unify the three parts of a piecewise function so that there are no holes or jumps in the function?

f(x) = { (i) -2 for values less than or equal to -1; (ii) ax - b for values of -1 < x < 1; and (iii) 3 for values greater than or equal to 1?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The lefthand limit for (i) as x approaches -1 and the righthand limit for (iii) as x approaches 1 are fairly straightforward. (ii) is a polynomial, so the limit is continuous over that interval. In theory, and most certainly in practice, there are values for the limits as x approaches -1 and 1 that make all of f(x) continuous. However, I cannot seem to reconcile how to substitute values for x to find a and b. If I set ax - b = -1, or 1, the way I see it, I have two variables and cannot account for both.

Thank you again,

SY

Physics news on Phys.org
SYoungblood said:
If I set ax - b = -1
This has to be true for a specific value of x only.
+1 is the result for a different specific value of x.

That gives you two equations with two unknowns.

SYoungblood said:

Homework Statement

Hello, thank you in advance for all help. This is a limit problem that is giving me a particularly hard time.

Homework Equations

For what values of a and b is f(x) continuous at every x? In other words, how to unify the three parts of a piecewise function so that there are no holes or jumps in the function?

f(x) = { (i) -2 for values less than or equal to -1; (ii) ax - b for values of -1 < x < 1; and (iii) 3 for values greater than or equal to 1?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The lefthand limit for (i) as x approaches -1 and the righthand limit for (iii) as x approaches 1 are fairly straightforward. (ii) is a polynomial, so the limit is continuous over that interval. In theory, and most certainly in practice, there are values for the limits as x approaches -1 and 1 that make all of f(x) continuous. However, I cannot seem to reconcile how to substitute values for x to find a and b. If I set ax - b = -1, or 1, the way I see it, I have two variables and cannot account for both.

Thank you again,

SY

Why would you set ax-b=(-1)? You want to set ax-b=(-2) when x=(-1) and ax-b=3 when x=1. Solving those two equation for a and b shouldn't be much of a problem.

If a function, f, is continuous for all x< a, then its limit as x approaches a from below is f(a). Similarly, if a function, g, is continuous for all x> a, then its limit as x approaches a from above is g(a). If a function is defined to be f(x) for x< a and g(x) for x>a, then it is continuous at x= a if and only if f(a)= g(a).

Thank you for the help Dick, I got it right! (After much weeping and gnashing of teeth.)

SY

Related to Unifying a Piecewise Function: Finding Values for Continuity

1. What is the definition of limit and continuity?

The limit of a function is the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain value. Continuity means that the function is defined and has no gaps or jumps at that value.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if the limit of the function exists at every point in its domain and the value of the function at that point is equal to the limit. In other words, there are no gaps or jumps in the graph of the function.

3. What is the difference between a removable and non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity, also known as a hole, is a point where the function is undefined but can be made continuous by assigning a value to that point. A non-removable discontinuity, or jump, occurs when the limit of the function at that point does not exist.

4. How do you find the limit of a function algebraically?

To find the limit of a function algebraically, you can either use the limit laws to simplify the function or use substitution to plug in values that approach the limit value. If the limit still cannot be determined, you may need to use other techniques such as L'Hopital's rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits and continuity?

Limits and continuity are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. For example, limits can be used to predict population growth, analyze rates of chemical reactions, and optimize production processes. Continuity is important in the design of structures and machines to ensure there are no weak points or sudden changes in behavior. It is also crucial in data analysis to identify trends and patterns in data sets.