Uniformly Distributed Current in a Wire: Question Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnetic field inside a straight wire with radius R and current I, which is uniformly distributed across its cross sectional area. The solution involves using an imaginary circle called "amperian loop" with radius r, and equation 1 (B*2*pi*r = u*i_inside) to calculate the current inside the loop. Equation 2 (i_inside = I*r^2/R^2) is derived from the fact that current is uniformly distributed, and is equal to the current density (I/A) multiplied by the area of the loop (pi*r^2). This helps in understanding the relationship between current density and the current inside a cross-sectional area.
leelee
ive posted this in the other forum, but haven't received a reply, so trying again :)

Question:
-straight wire with radius R, carrying current I
-current is uniformly distributed across the cross sectional area of wire
-calculate the magnetic field inside wire as function of distance r from the center of the wire

In the solution, there is a picture of the cross section of the wire, and the current is going into the page, ie X.
there is an imaginary circle, "amperian loop" with radius r, inside the wire.
then, B*2*pi*r = u*i_inside (equation 1)
then i_inside = I*(pi*r^2)/(pi*R^2) = I*r^2/R^2 (equation 2)
This i don't understand. I know it something to do with the fact that current is uniformly distibuted, but how to get equation 2?
Is it just a ratio?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's given that current is uniformly distributed across the cross section of the wire. So, if you want to find the current density(current per unit cross sectional area), it will be [tex] \frac{I}{A} [/tex] which is [tex] \frac{I}{\pi R^2} [/tex].
From this current density, how will you find the current inside a cross-sectional area with radius 'r'. Can you see how equation 2 follows?

Ah, yes i understand now. Thanks Siddharth!

Related to Uniformly Distributed Current in a Wire: Question Explained

1. What is meant by a "uniformly distributed current" in a wire?

Uniformly distributed current in a wire refers to a situation where the flow of electric current is evenly distributed throughout the entire length of the wire. This means that the current has the same magnitude and direction at every point along the wire.

2. How is uniformly distributed current achieved in a wire?

To achieve a uniformly distributed current in a wire, the wire must have a consistent cross-sectional area and be made of a material with uniform conductivity. The wire must also be connected to a circuit with a stable and constant voltage source.

3. What are the advantages of having a uniformly distributed current in a wire?

A uniformly distributed current in a wire helps to ensure that all parts of the wire are receiving the same amount of electrical energy. This can prevent overheating and melting of the wire, and also ensures that the desired amount of current is delivered to the intended destination.

4. Can a wire have a non-uniformly distributed current?

Yes, a wire can have a non-uniformly distributed current if there are variations in its cross-sectional area or if it is made of a material with inconsistent conductivity. This can cause unequal distribution of current and potential overheating of certain parts of the wire.

5. How does a wire maintain a uniformly distributed current over time?

A wire can maintain a uniformly distributed current over time as long as the circuit is functioning properly and there are no changes in the voltage source or the wire's conductivity. Any changes to these factors can affect the distribution of current in the wire.