Uniform Rectangular Magnetic Field

In summary, Jon200g isn't much. You would need about 50-60 small rectangular magnets of the same polarity, and a sheet of metal at least 1mm thick to make a effective uniform field.
jonpui747
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a sheet that produces a uniform magnetic field,using either rectangular or cylindrical neodymium magnets. I can't tell you much abut their strength, but they would be the common type purchased from a science/hobby shop. Dimensions for cylinder are 10mm dia x 2mm, and the rectangular would be 0.5mm x 0.4mm x 0.2mm. I'm going to assume that many smaller magnets would be better for creating a uniform field that fewer larger ones, but I'm unsure about the best way to arrange them/which would be better suited.

The sheet will be about the same size as a sheet of paper (A4), and should be able to suspend a steel mass of about 200g. How many magnets will i need, which type is better,and what is the best arrangement to use?

Thanks,

Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
200g isn't much.

Putting all N poles at one face isn't the best to do. It's more efficient to alternate stripes of N and S poles. Stronger attraction, and drops off faster so it's safer.

Magnet sellers use to offer plugs meant to attract steel. You might buy such plugs and put several of them regularly spaced. They already bring both N and S to the useful side.

If you alternate the polarity, the field is not uniform.

@jonpui747: Do you have some specific application in mind?
For a uniform field, it would be ideal to fill the whole area with rectangular magnets of the same polarity, but I am quite sure that this would not give the intended result.

Basically I am trying to make a magnetic sheet, so that I would be able to move steel objects in any location on it, and have them remain there without falling off of it. I would like to make it as uniform as possible, so that the area between the magnets isn't that noticeable.

Also, if i make the sheet itself out of metal, would that reduce the magnets' pull on the objects on the other side of it?

jonpui747 said:
Basically I am trying to make a magnetic sheet, so that I would be able to move steel objects in any location on it, and have them remain there without falling off of it. I would like to make it as uniform as possible, so that the area between the magnets isn't that noticeable.
In that case best thing is to alternate polarity between each neighboring magnet. A uniform sheet with same polarity - especially if packed tight with rectangular shaped magnets, would give very poor results as the 'magnetic sheet charge' on one side will nearly cancel that of the other. In fact for a very large sheet, you would achieve essentially no external field at all. Alternating polarity overcomes that problem. If possible, have the magnet's area quite a bit smaller than pieces intended to be hung - that will provide greater uniformity of attachment force.
Also, if i make the sheet itself out of metal, would that reduce the magnets' pull on the objects on the other side of it?
It will help things - providing a magnetic return path between poles attached to such sheet in effect neutralizes these poles, and that has the effect of making each magnet seem to have much greater depth than it actually has. In other words, improves the range and strength of the magnets. The steel sheet thickness would need to be a substantial fraction of magnet's depth though for that to be true.
[Above assumes that said sheet is for backing - not acting between magnets and objects to be hung!]

Last edited:

Related to Uniform Rectangular Magnetic Field

1. What is a uniform rectangular magnetic field?

A uniform rectangular magnetic field refers to a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at every point within a rectangular area. This means that the magnetic field lines are equally spaced and parallel to each other, creating a uniform and consistent force.

2. How is a uniform rectangular magnetic field created?

A uniform rectangular magnetic field can be created by passing an electric current through a rectangular-shaped wire loop or by using a solenoid (a coil of wire) with a rectangular cross-section. The direction and strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the direction and magnitude of the current.

3. What is the purpose of a uniform rectangular magnetic field?

A uniform rectangular magnetic field has various applications in scientific and technological fields. It is commonly used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and MRI machines to control the motion of charged particles and ions. It is also used in particle physics experiments to study the properties and behavior of matter.

4. How does a uniform rectangular magnetic field affect charged particles?

A uniform rectangular magnetic field exerts a force on charged particles that are moving within it. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the particle. This force can cause the particle to change its direction, speed, or trajectory.

5. Can a uniform rectangular magnetic field be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the direction and strength of a uniform rectangular magnetic field can be changed by adjusting the current or altering the shape and configuration of the magnetic field source. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the particles or objects within the field.